The Secret Life of Aphids, Part II

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
There is something about bugs...I don't know, maybe it is just the kid in me--poor mom, I was always bringing something home in a jar to keep in the bedroom. Ahh, the memories, like the time the six foot speckled king snake escaped his enclosure, never to be found. Enough of that...

Was out dinking around in the back yard today and noticed that the milk weed had a horrible infestation of orange aphids.

DSC00392-1.jpg

Normally, I would nuke them with some malathion but we have the milkweed to attract butterflies, particularly monarchs. Milkweed is their host plant so I could not use a pesticide. After I looked a little closer, I noticed that there was another infestation, midge larvae and they were making fast work of the aphids. No intervention needed.

DSC00397-1.jpg

DSC00405-1.jpg

DSC00409-1.jpg

The photos aren't the best, it was windy and I was lazy and didn't get the tripod out, Hopefully I will get a chance to take some with the microscope at work this weekend, if there are any left. I will post if I do.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent!

I saw a large red and grey mite predating on a smaller one in my juniper the other day.
They were on a wire so I could see it.
Big one wrapped the little one in a web and left it to find more.

Balance!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I love watching ladybugs annihilate aphids!
Always been interested in bugs too, collecting and mounting in shadow boxes...and such.
I think I have almost every bug in MD.

Bugs make humans look like such bitches....
Really all animals make us look like bitches...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've this larger spider set up home near my Satsuki. A good predictor to have near your trees. It makes webs...but also a great defense against pests.

Glad you chose pesticide free since the plants were planted for food for the butterflies. Life has a way of taking care of things. Your photos are a sign of that.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This topic reminds me of Graham;s post recently; I like his posts - typical grumpy english bloke who says what he thinks and mixes in a few bonsai nuggets of gold now and then. I saw him do a carving demo once - really impressive. I'd recommend subscribing if you haven't already.

https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/blog/2018/07/stay-home-take-care-of-bonsai-bugs/

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Excellent!

I saw a large red and grey mite predating on a smaller one in my juniper the other day.
They were on a wire so I could see it.
Big one wrapped the little one in a web and left it to find more.

Balance!

Sorce
I bet he was wrapping the little one to keep him warm. 😁

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The secret they dont know is if I find them on my trees, the are dead within 24 hours

Top Bottom