The secret to buying a decent bonsai candidate at a REGULAR nursery is....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
  1. Visit a LOT of nurseries and be prepared to walk away when you find nothing.
  2. Stick to species known to be used for bonsai.
  3. Try find family-run businesses (with fewer uniform cookie-cutter plants).
  4. Look for growers (wholesale).
  5. Use bonsai selection criteria: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bonsai/wik...hat_to_look_for_when_choosing_bonsai_material
  6. Ask to walk around the fields (where they grow) if they have them.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Remember just because it can be turned into a bonsai...doesn't mean they it SHOULD. It's okay to leave empty handed.

Be selective...look at leaf size,internodes. Is it a good species to begin with. Learn about the tree's characteristics. Will it back bud well and such.

Once that has been figured out...Does what you plan on bringing home have character? Or can it be developed into it?
Things to look for:
Taper
Nebari
Small leaf size

Pass on:
*Grafits that will ruin the design
*Reverse taper in the section you see keeping as main design
*large leafed
*long internodes
*known to drop branches

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Getting lucky or searching for 10s of hours. The odds are stacked against us since what we are looking for is the complete opposite of what nurseries do to make money. Their plants are grown as quickly as possible. They use constant "up potting" to the next size container with no regard for the root structure. They want their plants to look full, so putting 5 quart size azaleas in a 3 gallon pot is perfectly acceptable. Grafting, usually very poorly done.

Mom and pop shops are the best place to look because they tend to have older material and sometimes propagate their own material.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Be aware some "regular" nurseries may be aware bonsaists exist and may have an indoor section of bonsai accoutrements, which can cue one to ask a clerk if they also have a bonsai pre-plant or actual bonsai plant section on the site. Every month a nursery close to me has a small bonsai workshop. I would suggest calling nurseries in your locale for those with any interest at targeting bonsai.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The secret is learning early that shopping for bonsai in a regular nursery is a disappointing waste of time and money.
I must admit...contacts made in the bonsai community can offer up far better material. When I had an itch to head to the nursery...a friend put me into contact with Scott Lee on FB. A seller on the auctions there. I made contact and got the sweetest shimpaku very reasonable...and somewhat headed into the direction I wanted. So win/win. Was extremely pleased...with that contact.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Your kidding right...? You call this a waste of time and money?

View attachment 93396

tumblr_o1ioflkeQB1rofocqo1_400.gif

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
  1. Ask to walk around the fields (where they grow) if they have them.
This is KEY!
Go to the farms. They are the ones that throw out the ones that we want and nurseries and box stores don't want. Farms fill ditches with trees that are great for bonsai that don't make a good Nursey tree.

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
Your kidding right...? You call this a waste of time and money?

View attachment 93396
99 out of 100 are not like that, but I'm known for wasting time and money on worthless trees so who am I to talk?
I think almost any twig could become great. With time and care. My whole point is ready made bonsai are not the only choice. I guess it depends on why you do bonsai.
I do it for the journey more than the end.
Sure I'd like some good finished bonsai right now, but I enjoy having something to fuss over and fiddle with far more. That's why I have sticks in pots I only show here when I need some ridicule.

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
This is KEY!
Go to the farms. They are the ones that throw out the ones that we want and nurseries and box stores don't want. Farms fill ditches with trees that are great for bonsai that don't make a good Nursey tree.
You just reminded me of a place where they do exactly that. I bet there are hundreds of rejected trees there.
I'm going to see if any are more than jin and skeletons.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look in the back for the ugly ass trees and shrubs that nobody wants to buy because are ugly. These ugly trees/shrubs are often forgotten and overgrowing in their nursery pots.
That's what I do. I always ask to go behind the scenes. That's where they keep what I'm interested in. Most important....never leave without leaving your number, and explaining to them that you are interested in those, that the general gardener aren't. They sometimes throw away broken or miss formed trees that are very useful. Got some for free and others at bargain price...;)

Top Bottom