The secret to growing bonsai. A thread inspired by Bolero.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really like that tree. Not as good as your plum, but still, I like it a lot.
It does seem a bit instable though. The first branch on the left is imo not heavy enough to counterweigh the crown, but I think it could easily be solved by bending to crown a little back towards the left. If that's possible.

Well @Tentakelaertje, I not only managed to move the crown to the left a bit but also raised the second trunk at the same time. it's about as far as it will go. I already cracked the main branch in the process.

P1100990.JPG

Reaction score
That is cool! May I ask why you raised that small trunk? I'm curious about the why.
And how bad is the crack? Will the branch live?

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Art is expressing your ability to create your visual perception of whatever,.........
Michael Angelo saw "David" before he put his chisel to the marble.......
DaVinci saw "Mona Lisa" before his brush touched the canvas.......
Monet saw "Fields" before his brush touched canvas......
A Bonsai Artist see's his Tree or Landscape before he begins to shape it.....
A Bonsai Gardener can be an Artist.....

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually Bolero, at least with the Mona Lisa, ----------it eh look like she at all.
Micheangelo tore up his studies so folk would think he was better -------- please don't be a Pseudo Art History victim,

95 % of wanah be Artists, --- housewives and househusbands - will copy Impressionists, especially Van Gogh, and Picasso and so on.
Why ?
Because it is easy to do. Low self achievement.
[ take a look on the many Art do it yourself visual lists ]

Ask how may will copy a Tiziano, a Rubens, a Giorgione , a Vermeer or even a Raphael.
Too difficult.
Good Day
Anthony

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Art is expressing your ability to create your visual perception of whatever,.........
Michael Angelo saw "David" before he put his chisel to the marble.......
But Michelangelo I am sure was aware of some of the below statues which pre-existed.
DaVinci saw "Mona Lisa" before his brush touched the canvas.......
But Leonardo has a model in front of him, even if there is a lot of arguing about names and so on.
Monet saw "Fields" before his brush touched canvas......
Paul Cézanne has said about C. Monet that : "He is just an eye. But what kind of an eye!" In conclusion Monet paints what he sees.
A Bonsai Artist see's his Tree or Landscape before he begins to shape it.....
A Bonsai Gardener can be an Artist.....
img2_25.jpg
image003.jpg
253-DSC06190%25CE%2591%25CE%25BB%25CE%25B5%25CE%25BE%25CE%25B1%25CE%25BD%25CE%25B4%25CF%2581%25CE%25BF%25CF%2582%25CE%25A1%25CF%2589%25CE%25BC.%25CE%25BB%25CE%25BF%25CF%2585%25CF%2584%25CF%2581%25CE%25AC.JPG
dias_poseidonas01.jpg

So now, what can we said about them all, L. Da Vinci, Cl. Monet, Michelangelo, were they artists or were they not?
I raise this question in view of some recent discussion and the claim that the piece of art has to be original, not inspired by something pre-existing. I refer mainly to @MichaelS opinions.
Or did I get the meaning wrongly?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This has to play it's course. It seems that about once every four or five years we have to have this discussion about art and is Bonsai it. I don't see a problem with this I think it's encouraging that people are so emotionally and philosophically involved to look at bonsai this way.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think several of you usual suspects are posting on the wrong thread. I don't care what you call bonsai, I just asked to see an example of what you all considered to be the epitome of bonsai. If you think the epitome of bonsai is the statue of David, something is wrong with you. There is a fight club thread labeled Is bonsai art? - inspired by BVF where all of your pointless arguing of "is it art, or a song on the piano, or a naked dude" probably belongs. Find the link above and head on over. You'll have a ball. Maybe 2.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
img2_25.jpg
image003.jpg
253-DSC06190%25CE%2591%25CE%25BB%25CE%25B5%25CE%25BE%25CE%25B1%25CE%25BD%25CE%25B4%25CF%2581%25CE%25BF%25CF%2582%25CE%25A1%25CF%2589%25CE%25BC.%25CE%25BB%25CE%25BF%25CF%2585%25CF%2584%25CF%2581%25CE%25AC.JPG
dias_poseidonas01.jpg

So now, what can we said about them all, L. Da Vinci, Cl. Monet, Michelangelo, were they artists or were they not?
I raise this question in view of some recent discussion and the claim that the piece of art has to be original, not inspired by something pre-existing. I refer mainly to @MichaelS opinions.
I stand corrected and apologize for being baited by Bolero's post.
I stand corrected and apologize for being baited by Bolero's post.

I just finished a Subway Foot long Tuna, loaded up by a Subway Artist & I mean she was an Artist, best Subway I've had in a while...
I hope Nellie or Alexandra see's this post & is Baited into answering .........

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_2383.JPG IMG_2381.JPG This one right now is currently my favorite.
I only have ficus trees but the exposed roots and the knarly branches are lovely. Semi cascade is my favorite style with the roots grabbing on it adds in extra. Plus the overall health of the tree shows it's been taken good care of.
My best tree was not styled by me. But I have started 3 other semi cascades, one root cutting, and looking at a future purchase of a Burtt davyi ficus.
I need to just let them all grow out for now.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is cool! May I ask why you raised that small trunk? I'm curious about the why.
And how bad is the crack? Will the branch live?
It reduces the tendency for the two (main and small) to appear headed in opposite directions. Also raising the small trunk reduced the need to bring the crown to the left. I think.
The crack is pretty bad. Maybe 2/3 of the way through. I think it will live.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
img2_25.jpg
image003.jpg
dias_poseidonas01.jpg

The way I see it, if it came out of their minds yes. If they used a model and duplicated the image in front of them perfectly, then no. Master craftsmen. However I would guess the first.
It can be inspired by something pre existing. After all everything is! But everything cannot be art obviously. There MUST be a distinction.
(I would say)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 142398 View attachment 142397 This one right now is currently my favorite.
I only have ficus trees but the exposed roots and the knarly branches are lovely. Semi cascade is my favorite style with the roots grabbing on it adds in extra. Plus the overall health of the tree shows it's been taken good care of.
My best tree was not styled by me. But I have started 3 other semi cascades, one root cutting, and looking at a future purchase of a Burtt davyi ficus.
I need to just let them all grow out for now.
One of my favorites as well...love that cascade of yours!

Reaction score
It reduces the tendency for the two (main and small) to appear headed in opposite directions. Also raising the small trunk reduced the need to bring the crown to the left. I think.
The crack is pretty bad. Maybe 2/3 of the way through. I think it will live.

Thanks for the explanation. I hope it will live!

Top Bottom