The Shimpaku Juniper: Its Secret History THANKS BRIAN !!!!

Reaction score
Just spent a 2 hour layover in Wyoming with an amazing read about Shimpaku's. I'm sure its been posted here before but i have never seen it on the forum myself so I figured I would share the link just in case.

https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/the-shimpaku-juniper-its-secret-history-from-kindai-shuppan-2003/

Thanks @Brian Van Fleet You made what would have been a miserable flight into a great and inspiring journey. Thanks for republishing this.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good way to pass the time! It's a great article, important in the history of bonsai in Japan.
The Itoigawa called Hiryu toward the end of the article was finally styled by Kimura a few years ago, and is impressive. This thread shows what it looks like after, posted by @ianb . Here is a below-after, separated by about 30 years:
IMG_8559.JPG IMG_8558.JPG

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good way to pass the time! It's a great article, important in the history of bonsai in Japan.
The Itoigawa called Hiryu toward the end of the article was finally styled by Kimura a few years ago, and is impressive. This thread shows what it looks like after, posted by @ianb . Here is a below-after, separated by about 30 years:
View attachment 135442 View attachment 135441

Do you know if it's original foliage or replaced with grafted now?

Top Bottom