The Shohin Tree Thread

Sno

Mame
Reaction score
I would love to know more about the process you used to make that - how you started it, when it was chopped, etc. I would like to make it a point to start a deciduous mame next year
I took a batch of cuttings five or so years ago with the intention of starting a forest . This one would of been one the rejects ,it probably had bad inverse taper so it was chopped low . Elms have a habit of sending shoots out from around the cut point , most times If was going to grow it on would just select one leader and rub off all the other shoots . It was in the ground at the time with the rest of the cuttings and I had to move all of the elm trees to another place . This one was put into a smallish pot with a hard root prune nearly back to the trunk and then over the next few seasons repeat hard root prune and a smaller pot each time the top has to be kept short not to out grow the trunk .
It’s just getting to mid summer here in Oz and this tree is due for its second pruning .
B6E0A09B-D494-4863-AD68-312E8961EA9F.jpeg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Happy Christmas Eve Bonsai Nuts! Shohin Birds Nest Spruce after first styling in a mica training pot. I am asking Santa for backbudding, density and rammification this season so I can repot in 2022.

P.S. Santa likes bonsai too!🎅

Attachments

• 9CF48E2C-C83B-4724-A67B-2ADC36533F1A.jpeg
    9CF48E2C-C83B-4724-A67B-2ADC36533F1A.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 115

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Another little elm I trimmed back yesterday. This one was created from a ground layer on a previously “challenged” piece of material that eliminated some awkward inverse taper and lowered the height to the first branch. It’s been in development for just over a year... elms are good for the impatient!
🍺
2165613F-40DC-436B-88D7-6A5A6CE8844F.jpeg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Princess persimmon, Shuho pot. Merry Christmas everyone!
View attachment 345909
Beautiful tree BVF, how come yours is naked and mine still have full leave in the middle of January in zone 7? Did you defoliate them or they came off naturally? Thanks.

Attachments

• parrot beak.jpg
    parrot beak.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 64
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
the folks at bonsai west seem to think this is a good time to repot and style deciduous trees - i had always thought later in winter, but i’m itching to try stuff out. had some japanese maples in grow pots and put this together in the new @sorce pot

9t8jDPD.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Seiju , showing the taper in the branches
View attachment 349707
Enjoying summer down under .
View attachment 349711

nice

i think this is a seiju as well

are they cleaned up in the same way as others by reducing down to a couple of branches per node? i did some minor cleanup and thought it was looking ok and as though the crazy branching works, but the flattening of the picture makes it feel like a deeper clean needs to occur and i wonder about the thickening of the nodes with too many branches emerging

ldaSuJE.jpg

i’ve got it out under a table surrounded by mulch and covered with a tarp, but with it hitting 20f this week i’m debating bringing it to a nursery for some additional protection

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love bonsai west. So did they say to go ahead and start repotting? I have some trees i am dying to repot from nursery pots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I love bonsai west. So did they say to go ahead and start repotting? I have some trees i am dying to repot from nursery pots.

The person at the front desk indicated they were starting as with the trees in dormancy it's a good time for them. Most everything else I've read makes me feel like it's early, so I'm only doing it as a test with trees I'm willing to lose - I don't have the same controlled conditions as the nursery, so I want to test it for myself in my environment before going hog wild if I can stop myself from it. In Meriggioli's maple book they mention that if you repot in winter, you should repot prior to styling or trimming the tree.

We were primarily talking about deciduous trees so it may have only been those they were referring to.

here’s a natal plum i got from them

lDtaao0.jpg

Top Bottom