pyracanthamaart2008.jpg

The same now:

pyracanthamei2009.jpg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it were mine,i would raise the soil level to cover those roots,and when its safe to do so,get rid of that large root,and adjust the others the best you can,or its gonna come back to bite you in the long run.Shohin kid made a good point,you will get much faster results in a larger pot,when all your work is finished,then you can put the tree in a bonsai pot.

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
If it were mine,i would raise the soil level to cover those roots,and when its safe to do so,get rid of that large root,and adjust the others the best you can,or its gonna come back to bite you in the long run.Shohin kid made a good point,you will get much faster results in a larger pot,when all your work is finished,then you can put the tree in a bonsai pot.

I know, but I just wanted to show to newbies that you can start with something really simple. Today, bonsai is too much about money and competition.
BTW, a larger pot isn't always necessary. Firethorns for example grow so fast, and get such thick branches that sometimes a pot like this is necessary to tame them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work, Marc! I look forward to seeing this one in the future.

Chris

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is a great example showing you can enjoy bonsai without much cash to start. The discriminating shoper can find something that can become bonsai for very little. Diligence produces good bonsai stock.

This is how most of mine started. In fact I just now started to buy actual "pre-bonsai" stock from Meehan's miniatures. Gave them a plug because I have ordered 14 trees from them so far and every one arrived healthy and in good condition.

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
well done mark. this is a good example of what more often than none should be done with those mallsai's, if one wants an instant bonsai. beginners out there could learn a lot from this.:)

Tink32

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about an update Marc? I like what you have done so far. I bought 2 of these guys a week ago for $12, they have interesting trunks and Im hoping to do a cascade style on 1 of them. Thanks for the post, it gives me something to look forward to in the spring. By the way... what color are the berries?

Top Bottom