The starter Ficus repository!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine are doing well too, after the last time you posted about the moss I went and wrapped my two smaller ones up, checked the other week and there was not a great deal to see so I'm just going to leave them on through Autumn and check again.

Did you damage the bark at the places you want the roots to form ?

I didnt the first wrap up but did after the first time i looked and after that they started to grow

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well there you go, no I didn't. Thanks.
The only one that was forming was coming from a branch.
Just scratch a few lines into the area you think?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like some scale on a shoot, last picture, lower left of center....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good eye! I found a couple stragglers on my thuja I dragged home.

Bro...

Can we get a shot of the red leaves in the same pic with the red rock?

Looks Friggin nice!

What makes those red leaves?

Sorce

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just took a few tiny bites out with with my concavecutters so the cambium was visible thats where the roots will form

After two weeks roots were already visible trough the foil :)

If it all works out the way i want ill make a detailed tutorial with some pics how i did it and post it up here and in the resources section :)

This method might not be the same way aerial roots suposed to form but in the end the result will be the same

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Cheers, going to give that a go today.
Nice day to sit out in the heat and work some trees. Might even defoliate the big one and give it a trim and re-wire.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cheers, going to give that a go today.
Nice day to sit out in the heat and work some trees. Might even defoliate the big one and give it a trim and re-wire.

Oh forgot i putted some rooting powder on the cuts as well but dont think it is needed tough

Only thing i will do to my tree is prune it some to let light in
Its to late in the season for me to do a full defoliation now

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I don't have any rooting powder so I'll try without and see.
Pretty sure I can get away with it now, temps are fairly stable here until Octoberish and even then are quite mild. I really need to give it a clean up, see the shape then I'll stop messing with it aside from some cutting back to 2 leaves once growth kicks in again.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Starfox it was a fail lol
Got the moss off it are roots growing up from the soil not from the branches or trunk downwards :eek:

Hope your attempt has more succes im going to think it over on how i can do this right

Attachments

• 15028802385311442269143.jpg
    15028802385311442269143.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 20

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hmm, well I saw a post the other day on facebook that did pretty much exactly the same thing as what you did but to a ginseng ficus except he says it was cut with a scalple not knob cutters. Also instead of moss he cut up a bottle and filled it with soil and put that around the trunk
So I dunno, maybe needs more time?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm, well I saw a post the other day on facebook that did pretty much exactly the same thing as what you did but to a ginseng ficus except he says it was cut with a scalple not knob cutters. Also instead of moss he cut up a bottle and filled it with soil and put that around the trunk
So I dunno, maybe needs more time?

Dont know but its almost 3 months this way and i dont see amy signs of roots forming maybe gotta try again with soil and a botle
But dont know if there is enough time left for me this season since it goes indoors when temps drop below 14 °C

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ahh yeah, I forget you guys have a shorter season.
I have just knicked my bark up and re-packed it so in a month or two I'll let you know what I see. I may try that bottle method out on my ginseng too, need an excuse to do something with it.

Out of curiosity to you bring yours in when the night temps hit 14, the day temps get to 14 or the average is 14?
I left mine out all year last year bar one night when the temps went below zero.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry to hear the frustrations! Little knicks are the way to go with a razor blade for sure. I personally don't try to root anything without powder. Putting too much though can be bad too.... maybe too much was applied?

I have a few little ficus that rooted finally gotta post em here

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ahh yeah, I forget you guys have a shorter season.
I have just knicked my bark up and re-packed it so in a month or two I'll let you know what I see. I may try that bottle method out on my ginseng too, need an excuse to do something with it.

Out of curiosity to you bring yours in when the night temps hit 14, the day temps get to 14 or the average is 14?
I left mine out all year last year bar one night when the temps went below zero.

Well average 14 i guess
For 2 months it freezes at night and around 5 to 10 °c at day time and ice skating isnt rare around here in winters lol

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine dry..
Brown tip...ewww ....

But seem to slough it off and keep growing.

Just as Nigel Saunders prescribes!

I figured if he can do it in Canada....

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine dry..
Brown tip...ewww ....

But seem to slough it off and keep growing.

Just as Nigel Saunders prescribes!

I figured if he can do it in Canada....

Sorce

Mine do the same here. They grown an inch, shrivel back to 3/4 inch then grow again when it's rainy and humid. I don't pay too much attention to them tbh. While it rains and stays wet overnight they grow, then dry during the day, then grow again.

Another thing that works is keeping the tree watered very little and only misting the aerials. How little you water will depend on how many aerial roots you have.

I'll take a pic in a few and post it but on one of my ficus, this summer I've gone as much as a week with no watering and just misting the top. I believe the lack of water below is a huge factor in how successful and how fast the aerials grow.

Nigel has it down to a T though and I follow his direction.......as we are all familiar w/ the vid

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's a pic of one with roots at different stages. I don't put much time into the aerials right now but you can see how they dry and grow until reaching the soil

This is an experiment tree
20170817_083628.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a pic of one with roots at different stages. I don't put much time into the aerials right now but you can see how they dry and grow until reaching the soil

This is an experiment tree
View attachment 157099

Nice
Just to clarify:
Florida
Ficus outside all year round ?
High humidity air?
Like almosth the mosth ideal climate for ficus

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice
Just to clarify:
Florida
Ficus outside all year round ?
High humidity air?
Like almosth the mosth ideal climate for ficus

I know :p they love it here.......

I was showing it also to compare to what @sorce saying as well......even here, in this ideal climate for them, they still develop slow, still have to put in the extras for good quick results

I keep mine outside all year though the last few years it has dipped into the high 30's at night here in winter. If it's really cold I'll just put em in the shed. Which will be like 3 or 4 days out of the whole year. But in the 40's or above I leave them outside.

Top Bottom