Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey bro....

This is growing great for you.

How bout cutting that ass hammer loose......View attachment 157601

Run a guy (white) to roll that part down and to the back.
And then somehow pull that yellow part forward again.

So it sits in that green area.

You'll disruption that line across the top and I swear that placement would be near perfect.

This is a dope ass tree.

Sorce

Cheers Sorce.

You know I think I'm with you on this, that region has been bothering me and have been struggling with what to do with it.
I had originally thought of covering it up with a bunch of cuttings and let them grow into everything but I reckon your idea has legs.
I can cable guy that bugger in I think.
Going to have a sit down with it and see.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had originally thought of covering it up with a bunch of cuttings and let them grow into everything but I reckon your idea has legs.

(Edit to add, this sounds dickish, but it's not!)

This sounds opposite of what we are trying to do...

Name your famous artist...

"Cut down from big trees"

"As compact as possible"

"Start with large trunks, and cut them back"

"Bring it in tighter"

I'm not saying that was a BAD idea.
As I myself have managed a few thoughts completely backwards that sometimes work out!

But this one....
These quotes...
That "rule"..
It IS bonsai!

Seems the more I focus on that idea....
The better the trees get!

It's an important one that nearly always works!

I can't wait to see how you proceed.

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nah not dickish at all, I get it.

This was like my second tree and it has survived, albeit a mallsai but still I have been quite conservative with it because of that.

Never had a vision for it either so figured I'd just maintain it and apply various techniques and maybe something would pop up.

Still have chopped that bar and brought that right branch in, seems to work quite well although cant really twist it as much as I want without losing contact but it is infinitely better.
Hopefully I'll get some budding on that left branch, it's too straight and needs chopping back. I already wired it so not chopping it off this season.

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ramification is one of the last steps in completing your bonsai. If the tree is at the height you prefer, trunk thickness as well as the shape and style then begin to work on ramification.

Reason being.......let's say your tree is 24 inches tall and you want it to ultimately be 16 inches tall........

If you spend time ramifying branches at any height above 16 inches it'll be pointless b/c you will ultimately cut all those off anyway.....

Now, on the same token there is nothing wrong w/ practicing ramification to learn how the tree will respond.

Regarding thickness:

yes you want your branches to "taper." so the primary branch should be thicker than the secondary branch and the tertiary branch should be the thinnest. So From this point yes, if your secondary branch is starting to get as thick as the primary it should be pruned. Same way we want the trunk tapering, same thing for the branches.

This explanation though is really over simplified.

Here is a better explanation of it though:

https://adamaskwhy.com/2012/10/15/ramification-the-next-step/

Also, if you search on here, there is sooooo much info on this forum, you'll get much more in depth explanations!

Cheers!

Spot on, thanks very much.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well it's that time of year again when those bastard Thrips are back. I had one land on me so went and checked my ficus and sure enough I found one and a telltale rolled, spotty leaf.
Controlled them easy enough last year just by removing the affected leaves and a pyrethrum spray. To be honest don't think I need the spray at all as it only works if you spray the bug and I never see them.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Growing well, going to defoliate and cut back in the next few days. Still not 100% sure where I'm gonna go w/ this one but that's ok, no rush:

20170826_180600.jpg

@LanceMac10 Had a good angle suggestion for me which I'm gonna take when I repot this.

I forgot if it was earlier in this thread or somewhere else.......but it's in my brain so that's all that matters haha!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So my cuttings have worked out alright after sitting them in a jar of water for a few weeks, the benji ones didn't take off as much but I kind of expected that.
Not overly sure what my plan is with these, let 'em grow would be a start.

IMG_4889.JPG
IMG_4890.JPG

With the benji cuttings I decided to cable tie them together and stick a nice smooth stone in the base, see what happens.

IMG_4891.JPG

Plus that big yard ficus from a page or two back, well it got a bad case of the thrips so that pushed me to cut it right back in the hope for some budding down lower. It's still a 2 ft tall straight trunk so again we will see what happens.

IMG_20170918_151714022.jpg

Now I'm off to see if Bougies will responds as well to cuttings in a jar of water. Need some different colours on my tables.
Also need to check if I can reach a cutting for a macrophylla in the neighbour hood otherwise it is a trip to the city to try and get some from the parks.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have one ficus but am thincking of selling it before winter. I'll take some pics as it was a freebie

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Absolutely, I think it is a very kind gesture and most certainly do appreciate the guidance. It made my day. :)
Thank you for that Anthony, I'm always happy for any input and that sketch is great, I will be saving that for sure.
What is good is I can look at the sketch and see that in the tree, I had not considered separating the root from the trunk like that. It would leave a decent scar but in time it would heal with added character.

Once again thanks for that, it will keep the brain ticking over this winter.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My brother gave me this ficus he got from a lady at work for free. It has been very neglected, example the glued on rocks (which I have since removed). Looks like it has been chopped once, but the growth is very leggy. I feel like I need to at least try and do something to it, since he was trying to be nice giving it to me. I would appreciate some direction. Chop lower, bury the tubes? View attachment 150115 View attachment 150116
So, I chopped it's head off, scarred up the tubers and buried them. I left a little foliage, but now it's back budding, I'll probably get rid of those little straggly branches. I struck 6 cuttings, and surprisingly, they all took.ficus today.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks way better with the tubers covered up. I did similar with mine and it loved it, growing like mad at the moment.

Had a trip to the park today, play ground for the kids just happened to be surrounded by figs. ;)

Grabbed a few cuttings, one I think is possibly a Microcarpa and the other with the larger leaves, well I have an idea(hope really) but in all honesty don't really know.
Wondering if they will take in a jar of water like practically every other fig I have tried do?

IMG_20171014_174021155.jpg IMG_20171014_174013880.jpg IMG_20171014_170936537.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting @Starfox ,

like the colour change. We have a tree here called Caimite -

As usual on the internet, can never find an image of a mature tree---- this will
have to do ----- apologies.

http://nargil.ir/plant/images/pic/1230/20160515142015Chrysophyllum cainito.jpg

Fruit and leaves -------- gold underneath

https://zoom50.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/chrysophyllum-cainito.jpg

Fruit ---------- very tasty when ripe -

http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lihjz2JozS1qcoh87o1_1280.jpg

We are testing a few trees for bonsai.
Milky sap as well.
Good Day
Anthony

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That is a cool species, the fruit looks interesting too.

I'll put up some more pics tomorrow and try and get a closer shot of the leaves. They are very striking, I believe the golden\red underside are made up of tiny little hairs.
I also picked up some of the fallen fruit so that should give me some seeds as well.

It is my hope that these are either F. rubiginosa or macrophylla which would make sense as if you search 'Ficus Alicante' they are a big thing here, planted out all over the place. I would be really, really happy if this is one of them.

Here is some of the root spread which is always cool.
IMG_20171014_170947604.jpg
IMG_20171014_171036308.jpg
IMG_20171014_170953368.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That is a cool species, the fruit looks interesting too.

I'll put up some more pics tomorrow and try and get a closer shot of the leaves. They are very striking, I believe the golden\red underside are made up of tiny little hairs.
I also picked up some of the fallen fruit so that should give me some seeds as well.

It is my hope that these are either F. rubiginosa or macrophylla which would make sense as if you search 'Ficus Alicante' they are a big thing here, planted out all over the place. I would be really, really happy if this is one of them.

Here is some of the root spread which is always cool.
View attachment 163883
View attachment 163886
View attachment 163887

Definitely looks like F. rubiginosa. The name Rusty Fig comes from that brown underside you see on the leaves. The leaves don't reduce super well, but they do reduce some and can make nicer medium to large trees.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah, I'm used to calling them PJ figs, short for Port Jackson where they are originally from.

The easiest way to tell them apart from their Morton Bay cousins seems to be where the base of the leaf meets the stem, the MB leaf kind of overlaps creating a M shape whereas the PJs don't overlap and is more of a V shape.
This one definitely seems to be the latter.

I think any confusion comes down to what the Spanish authorities think they are here, but in general it is best advised not to listen to them in the first place.

Hopefully I can get one or more of them to strike. I'll be super happy if I can, PJ figs are a rather popular choice but for me I want them as they are Aussie natives and have been tough to find otherwise.

Top Bottom