The starter Ficus repository!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To get a broad nebari, I graft aerial roots to the base and bury them under soil. Exposed roots do not thicken much, but would grow quite big if buried for a year or two. When you repot the tree, raise the tree by 1/4 to 1/2" where the buried roots appear to have thickened. This way over several repotting, you get a bigger trunk base and nebari.

Yes, perfectly clear, thank you! Your explanation, along with the progression of your ‘gift shop’ ficus ties it all together. I see now how you corrected the area of the removed large root with grafted roots. I also see that technique to perfection on the awarded ficus from the Taiwanese show on your blog.

I am finally working on primary branches on a couple of my ficus, now that the trunk girth, movement and taper has been built (8yrs of work). Your explanation helps me understand that my next step is to repot next summer, working the roots hard, and grafting for basal flare, followed by allowing growth to thicken those buried root grafts. Much appreciated!

And after seeing how much my ficus have grown in this recent heat wave (we had mid-80s!!!!!), makes me think I need to move somewhere hotter to get better growth even if it means over wintering!

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Glad that it helps. No, you do not want to move to somewhere hotter! It's is so hot here that sometimes I just don't feel like going out working on the trees. CA weather might be even better for growing ficus. When it comes to ficus in a pot, it is not necessary we get longer growing season with the hot weather. When it becomes too hot the roots shut down and that is not good for growth. In nature, the big canopy shades the roots and allows it to continue functioning despite the heat. One way is to grasp when to water to cool down the roots during a hot day in your area. There is a study by the U of South(North?) Carolina about when is the best time to water container plants in commercial growing nursery. Contrary to popular belief, early morning watering does not help optimal growth. The best time is around noon to 2 p.m. As the day temperature rises, the root temperature also goes up. Before they reach 85-90F, a copious amount of water cools down the pot and prevent the root getting too hot and shut down temporary. A study by the late Dr. Bill Cody in Texas, published in ABS journal, said it is best to water at 2 p.m., for Texas of course. So water a lot just when the summer day temperature gets very hot, another evening watering allows the plant to sustain enough moisture till the next day's peak heat. These watering needs help the tree roots to function the longest during the day, and therefore, plants grow bigger than those watered in the morning and evening. Both cases are watering twice a day but at different timing.

Of course, fertilizing and other cares come into play. I have also experimented with how long should one let the branches grow for them to thicken, and how far back they can bud back when the very long branches are pruned. There are some interesting observations. Hope to write a blog on it, but have been too lazy.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, perfectly clear, thank you! Your explanation, along with the progression of your ‘gift shop’ ficus ties it all together. I see now how you corrected the area of the removed large root with grafted roots. I also see that technique to perfection on the awarded ficus from the Taiwanese show on your blog.

I am finally working on primary branches on a couple of my ficus, now that the trunk girth, movement and taper has been built (8yrs of work). Your explanation helps me understand that my next step is to repot next summer, working the roots hard, and grafting for basal flare, followed by allowing growth to thicken those buried root grafts. Much appreciated!

And after seeing how much my ficus have grown in this recent heat wave (we had mid-80s!!!!!), makes me think I need to move somewhere hotter to get better growth even if it means over wintering!
Hemmy,
This is a ficus I defoliated last week and wired the branches into shape, no detail wiring. I have been growing this one for about 18 years, the root base is 15 inches and is still expanding with all the new grafts. Height is 28" and width is 38". I restyled this sometimes ago and removed large branches, hopefully the wounds will heal soon.P1010050 (3).JPG

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hemmy,
This is a ficus I defoliated last week and wired the branches into shape, no detail wiring. I have been growing this one for about 18 years, the root base is 15 inches and is still expanding with all the new grafts. Height is 28" and width is 38". I restyled this sometimes ago and removed large branches, hopefully the wounds will heal soon.View attachment 207451
Awesome!

Do you have any tips/tricks on root grafting? Or are they mostly just fused existing aerials and root approach grafts with foliage?

Do you also thread graft or approach graft new branches for placement?

Thank you so very much!!!

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I grafted two seedlings on the left side in the photo,and two aerial roots on the right. Just nail them to where you want the graft to take place and wrap the graft tightly. They will fuse in about a year. No need to scrape the bark and line cambium to cambium. You can do that too if you do not water the tree for a few days to prevent latex oozing out. All ficus grafting techniques can be found in Bonsai Hunk Jerry Meislik’s site.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
My $25 auction Benjamina. I bought this tree in March and havnt done a whole lot to it (aside from minor trimming to increase ramification) since. I'm quite happy with the shape and movement of the trunk but I'm afraid the entire canopy needs a total rework. All but one of the main branches was dead upon receiving the tree (which I have yet to remove). Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on what I should do with this tree? I didn't want to have to chop the trunk but it also appears that the top inch or so of the main trunk has died

Attachments

• 20180826_093755.jpg
    20180826_093755.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180826_093243.jpg
    20180826_093243.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180826_092748.jpg
    20180826_092748.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 48

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My $25 auction Benjamina. I bought this tree in March and havnt done a whole lot to it (aside from minor trimming to increase ramification) since. I'm quite happy with the shape and movement of the trunk but I'm afraid the entire canopy needs a total rework. All but one of the main branches was dead upon receiving the tree (which I have yet to remove). Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on what I should do with this tree? I didn't want to have to chop the trunk but it also appears that the top inch or so of the main trunk has died
Dang...$25! eBay or Facebook auction? I would have jumped at that as well. The photos...are they current of the tree. For you say the top trunk is dead. Still looks like you can work that tree if that is current photos. If not...please share current ones. Reworking a trees top is done all the time. Look at it as adding to the trees story. But...I am curious...if it's died back more in your care.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
Dang...$25! eBay or Facebook auction? I would have jumped at that as well. The photos...are they current of the tree. For you say the top trunk is dead. Still looks like you can work that tree if that is current photos. If not...please share current ones. Reworking a trees top is done all the time. Look at it as adding to the trees story. But...I am curious...if it's died back more in your care.

These photos were taken about an hour before posting. The tree has not gotten any worse in my care (thankfully). The branches and top of the trunk were already dead. It was an e bay auction by the way. The price was right but international shipping was another story!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These photos were taken about an hour before posting. The tree has not gotten any worse in my care (thankfully). The branches and top of the trunk were already dead. It was an e bay auction by the way. The price was right but international shipping was another story!
Honestly...chopping the trunk would not bother me. There is a lot of movement there. And a shorter tree makes the tree look thicker in girth. I would chop at a branch that would make a good leader for the new apex. Not knowing ficus all to well...or your climate. Unsure if chopping now is appropriate or not. But embrace the chop as a plus. Determine the front...and cut so the scar is facing the back side. But that tree is nice. A shorter version may improve it even.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
Honestly...chopping the trunk would not bother me. There is a lot of movement there. And a shorter tree makes the tree look thicker in girth. I would chop at a branch that would make a good leader for the new apex. Not knowing ficus all to well...or your climate. Unsure if chopping now is appropriate or not. But embrace the chop as a plus. Determine the front...and cut so the scar is facing the back side. But that tree is nice. A shorter version may improve it even.

I can come to terms with chopping the trunk :rolleyes:, however I havnt decided if I want to go for a shorter tree or not. I had been considering growing the tree taller due to its larger leaf size. Decisions decisions...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@SizeXtraMedium ,

since you liked the plant enough to purchase, I would have suggested
just getting the plant healthy, get it to grow,

If it is pot bound perhaps a larger pot, and just place in a
good freely draining bonsai mix, no repotting or barerooting.
Just get it healthy.

Come back next year and we can discuss again.
Good Day
Anthony

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can come to terms with chopping the trunk :rolleyes:, however I havnt decided if I want to go for a shorter tree or not. I had been considering growing the tree taller due to its larger leaf size. Decisions decisions...
I get that...I have a too-little Bengamina...dwarf leaves. I can't mentally invission larger leaves on a ficus because ficus are new to me. And mine has tiny leaves. You can always grow it taller it will make the taper more defined as well.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
@SizeXtraMedium ,

since you liked the plant enough to purchase, I would have suggested
just getting the plant healthy, get it to grow,

If it is pot bound perhaps a larger pot, and just place in a
good freely draining bonsai mix, no repotting or barerooting.
Just get it healthy.

Come back next year and we can discuss again.
Good Day
Anthony

I agree that a larger pot may be in order so I guess my question now is will the dead top and branches continue to die back? ( so far they havnt) or are they safe to leave on until the tree has enough vigor for a chop?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree that a larger pot may be in order so I guess my question now is will the dead top and branches continue to die back? ( so far they havnt) or are they safe to leave on until the tree has enough vigor for a chop?

International shipping you mentioned earlier...did it come bare root packed in spaghumn? That could have caused die back I would imagine. If that the case. I would think that keeping it watered it should be okay.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
International shipping you mentioned earlier...did it come bare root packed in spaghumn? That could have caused die back I would imagine. If that the case. I would think that keeping it watered it should be okay.

Yes, that's exactly how it was shipped and that was my suspicion as well

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, that's exactly how it was shipped and that was my suspicion as well
How long has it been in your care? If awhile then I think your good. Still has good bones and can be worked into that taller tree you desire. Fortunately the tree has a lot going for it. From the base on up. Keep true to its movement.
Edit...just seen it arrived in March. I would say any dieback is now final and you can move forward to development without concern.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
How long has it been in your care? If awhile then I think your good. Still has good bones and can be worked into that taller tree you desire. Fortunately the tree has a lot going for it. From the base on up. Keep true to its movement.

I bought it in March of this year. The branches that are still alive have put out plenty of new leaves and are continuing to do so and as with any Benjamina it backbuds like crazy. Thanks for all your input, I'm glad someone else appreciates the shape of the tree as much as I do!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I bought it in March of this year. The branches that are still alive have put out plenty of new leaves and are continuing to do so and as with any Benjamina it backbuds like crazy. Thanks for all your input, I'm glad someone else appreciates the shape of the tree as much as I do!
Love the bones to this tree. I would have made the same purchase if it would have fit under my bottom grow cart shelf. ?

Just remember a living tree is always changing...bumps in the road add to its story. Embrace the new path...and don't look back.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
See how the tree heals itself down the road.
Try and get as many new leaves as is possible.
Study, enjoy and take time to decide.

Fun avatar.

Time.
Good Day
Anthony

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
See how the tree heals itself down the road.
Try and get as many new leaves as is possible.
Study, enjoy and take time to decide.

Fun avatar.

Time.
Good Day
Anthony

Thank you, as long as there is no rush to remove the dead parts I will continue to allow it to just grow for now

Top Bottom