The State of Shohin 2021 Discussion

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm still relatively new to the hobby, having been keeping trees for several years but only really beginning to work them in the past year or so.

I have realized that shohin is where my tastes trend. I like the larger trees, and I like looking at them, but shohin is where the heart is, I think.

That said, I've picked up on the fact that shohin hasn't historically been that popular. Add to that that I enjoy deciduous, which seems to have been in less favor than pines and junipers, and that adds another layer.

All that said, it seems that when shohin go for sale, they get snapped up fairly quickly if the price is in the right range. There seems to be a demand for them.

So - where does shohin sit in 2021? Has there been a shift in sentiment? Are there simply not enough shohin in the US for the demand / is it a matter of the nature of bonsai that it takes some years for the market to follow sentiment?

I have no idea! Just figured I'd start a thread for shohin chitchat, I guess.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh my, you've just started on a long path... I was you a number of years ago, and started with a couple shohin trees. Now that is the bulk of my collection. There is a lot of interest in shohin! Enough that there is a bi-yearly national show for them. Many many shows in Japan are for shohin trees. Good ones are hard to find, so that's why they get snapped up so fast. They are challenging trees, as you really need skills to get the leaf size to be appropriate to the small stature of the tree. Also good ones must also have good ramification just as in the larger trees, but you have to do it on a much smaller scale so it's even more difficult than making a good larger trees sometimes. I still love my large trees, and also my heart is really with the chuchin trees (that to me is the size that gets ignored) but shohin are addictive and so much fun.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh my, you've just started on a long path... I was you a number of years ago, and started with a couple shohin trees. Now that is the bulk of my collection. There is a lot of interest in shohin! Enough that there is a bi-yearly national show for them. Many many shows in Japan are for shohin trees. Good ones are hard to find, so that's why they get snapped up so fast. They are challenging trees, as you really need skills to get the leaf size to be appropriate to the small stature of the tree. Also good ones must also have good ramification just as in the larger trees, but you have to do it on a much smaller scale so it's even more difficult than making a good larger trees sometimes. I still love my large trees, and also my heart is really with the chuchin trees (that to me is the size that gets ignored) but shohin are addictive and so much fun.

yeah, I have a bunch of mature starting points to work on, so hopefully I will be bringing more into the world!

I've also noticed the term "shohin" is a little hand-wavy at times? As is, "shohin" can often mean all small trees it seems, but then from the more traditional way of looking at it you have mame, shohin, kifu, etc, correct? I have to admit I'm using it in the broader sense, though I definitely trend towards thinking the smaller the better it seems!

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yeah, I have a bunch of mature starting points to work on, so hopefully I will be bringing more into the world!

I've also noticed the term "shohin" is a little hand-wavy at times? As is, "shohin" can often mean all small trees it seems, but then from the more traditional way of looking at it you have mame, shohin, kifu, etc, correct? I have to admit I'm using it in the broader sense, though I definitely trend towards thinking the smaller the better it seems!
Shohin, true shohin is under 8” tall. After that its chuchin. But I have seen some trees on the larger side of that displayed as shohin, I try to stay true to the smaller side of it.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm moving toward kifu sized trees myself. More room for detail and error haha. Cheaper pots and less soil purchased, plus growing from seed and cuttings becomes much more realistic with these smaller sizes. I see why some folks catch the bug. I have never taken a shohin class/workshop or gone to the shohin show in NC but they're on my radar now. There used to be a shohin specific bonsai magazine, maybe try to track it down. It's funny how I used to see smaller trees and think "who would buy that?" and now that I'm keeping my eyes open I find myself thinking "where did they all go?"

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Shohin, true shohin is under 8” tall. After that its chuchin. But I have seen some trees on the larger side of that displayed as shohin, I try to stay true to the smaller side of it.

Went and measured and Id say mine are largely under 10” at least, so some are definitely chuchin from the sounds of it. even split between that and true shohin id wager

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I enjoy both mame and shohin. So many benefits to work with these sizes. Mame's over time will eventual size up to shohin so there's always room to grow. If you can get over the watering part, it's well worth it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont think shohin have become unpopular or less desirable at all.
On the contrary as the bonsai population ages, moving those large trees around gets harder and those smaller trees are much easier to carry around!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I dont think shohin have become unpopular or less desirable at all.
On the contrary as the bonsai population ages, moving those large trees around gets harder and those smaller trees are much easier to carry around!

I mean the opposite, that it is becoming moreso

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Love shohin...but the game is a little different with them. No room for error, every leaf counts, and don’t miss a day of watering. Plus, you need a good-sized collection of them to have options for a formal display. With that comes lots of pots, and the ability to get bold and creative (to a degree) with pairings. They’re easier to carry around, and the work required is quick, but relatively frequent. With my schedule, I can bring in a shohin that needs attention and work on it here and there throughout the day and have it whipped back into shape in a few minutes to an hour.

Dartfrog

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
@badatusernames Nice username lol. I think that shohin demand is growing a lot in urban areas, as it's difficult to keep a collection of big trees if you live in an apartment with a balcony or a small terrace. At least that's my case, currently in love with shohin trees, but I'm in the development phase of several because of the scarcity of material in my country.

🦎

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to see more stand builders offering good stands at different price points.

I love them too.

I like that it tells the longest story and offers the largest creative outlet.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd like to see more stand builders offering good stands at different price points.

I love them too.

I like that it tells the longest story and offers the largest creative outlet.

Sorce

I was just thinking about stand the other day and there's really not that much out there is there

yoru sanpo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@badatusernames Nice username lol. I think that shohin demand is growing a lot in urban areas, as it's difficult to keep a collection of big trees if you live in an apartment with a balcony or a small terrace. At least that's my case, currently in love with shohin trees, but I'm in the development phase of several because of the scarcity of material in my country.

🦎
That's my situation too. I'm just getting restarted in bonsai, and in terms of the space requirement see myself gravitating toward shohin and kifu.

While looking for a guide to bonsai sizes, I found this webpage from the British Shohin Society:
https://britishshohinbonsai.com/supporters-area/articles/rough-guide-to-shohin-sizes/ (the link at the bottom of the page explains more about the subjectivity of what qualifies as shohin)

Top Bottom