The Story Of Jason's “tin Foil” Tree.

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
When Jason, on the first day I staid at his place, showed me this mountain Hemlock he collected himself, he told me a story about what happened one day when he showed it to a bonsai college ( I don't know who?) that visit his garden not to long ago. He had looked at this old tree and told Jason: that his Japanese master rated the quality and potential of bonsai material by awarding it with metal, the best being Gold off course! He then told Jason that his “Mountain Hemlock” would be rated “TIN FOIL”! In other words: useless and a waist of time! Hearing this story blow me away and reminded me of some of the arrogance I come across on the European bonsai seen and forums, unbelievable! But this being my first day in the states and in Jason’s place, I had to bite my tong, for now! The next day, when we finished Randy’s Pine and had some beers to break the ice, I told Jason (to his surprise) lets do your “TIN FOIL” tree now! Lets show the world that there are no bad trees, only bad designers!:p
I hope you like what we have don with this "TIN FOIL" Mountain Hemlock? I wonder if we should change it's name now? :D

There are more pictures to this story on my weblog!

Attachments

• 141_4138 hans van meer..jpg
    141_4138 hans van meer..jpg
    73 KB · Views: 63
  • usa 2008 239 hans van meer..jpg
    usa 2008 239 hans van meer..jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hans-

Having seen the tree before and after, I must say that you did an absolutely wonderful job elevating the status of this tree. Dare I say it is aluminum now??? Ha! Just kidding! It looks a ton better in person than these pics indicate - very "natural" feeling and when it is in a decent pot it will look even that much better. Well done!

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice work but IO would keep the name for this tree. Later on it can be used to thumb your nose at the one that made the comment.

Widgeon

Seedling
Reaction score
Nicely done guys. Looks great

Top Bottom