The struggle between emergency repotting, and wrong season.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
One of my big junipers - a Kishu - is going slowly downhill for months.
No new growth, crackling pale foliage dropping down in tufts, bad color overall when compared to other Kishu nearby.
At first, I found out some insect borers - termites? - in the deadwood, but managed to get rid of them after two or three applications of the right pesticide; that was months ago, but the problem with the health of the tree is still the same.
The soil is good, and the tree is not rootbound, it´s in a big training container; even percolating OK, I guess the problem is somehow in the roots
Now we are in the last three weeks of Spring here in the Southern Hemisphere, and I wouldn't think of reppoting at this time of the year, but...
If the issue is really in the roots, I guess I will have to.
So my question is:
If one shouldn't repot weak trees, and never repot a conifer during the growing season, but if the emergency calls for it, what are the chances the tree will die instead?

Thanks in advance.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some folks wait 'til late spring to repot junipers. That might be misstating it a bit. Maybe more accurately, they wait 'til they've repotted their other trees that need it sooner ...and it ends up being late spring before their junipers get repotted. I think Ryan Neil espouses later repots for junipers.

That said, a lot of what you describe sounds like spider mites. Have you checked for them?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea I typically repot my juniper in mid to late spring because they are usually the last ones to start their spring growth.

If you are in your spring now, I am curious as to why you did repot? Maybe because the tree is sick?

It is a tough decision to choose what to do.

With a sick tree, if doing nothing will kill the tree, then it is worth trying the repot. However you need to keep in mind that repotting could also kill it.

The other thing is the tree might be too far gone at this point to save.

I agree with bwaynef though, try to eliminate other possibilities first.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Some folks wait 'til late spring to repot junipers. That might be misstating it a bit. Maybe more accurately, they wait 'til they've repotted their other trees that need it sooner ...and it ends up being late spring before their junipers get repotted. I think Ryan Neil espouses later repots for junipers.

That said, a lot of what you describe sounds like spider mites. Have you checked for them?

Definitely not Spider mites, thanks for the suggestion. As for repotting late spring, this is a good piece of information, maybe it's worth the try, thanks.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Yea I typically repot my juniper in mid to late spring because they are usually the last ones to start their spring growth.

If you are in your spring now, I am curious as to why you did repot? Maybe because the tree is sick?

It is a tough decision to choose what to do.

With a sick tree, if doing nothing will kill the tree, then it is worth trying the repot. However you need to keep in mind that repotting could also kill it.

The other thing is the tree might be too far gone at this point to save.

I agree with bwaynef though, try to eliminate other possibilities first.

No, I didn't repot it for three years. And I didn't this year because it is weak.
I agree with you, if it is going downhill, maybe it's worth trying.
But I will follow @bweynef hint and check once again for mites and other pests. I am following this tree very close trying to pinpoint the issue, and none of the trees nearby show the same simptoms.
Thank you for the suggestions.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
can you share some pictures?
Could the tree have partiay dried out? Or been too wet for a lorher period of time?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
can you share some pictures?
Could the tree have partiay dried out? Or been too wet for a lorher period of time?
Yes, I will upload some pics tomorrow.
Yes, looks like a tree giving up on some branches, except the main branch which is still alive and showing new growth, has also some branchlets drying out.
Yes, it's been raining every day, but not all the time. And it's hot, 32 C during the day.
But in fact it has been showing this weakness for months; it's not a recent issue.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The big problem with junipers is that they are slow to show symptoms. By the time we see something is wrong it is often far too late to rescue the tree.
Agree that this is a hard call - repot may save the tree but repot may also kill the tree. IMHO if it appears to be dying anyway and no other option to rescue you have little to lose by repotting.

Good luck with the decision and the transplant if that's the way you decide to go.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was good ID made of borers? Grubs or actual 6 legged adults🤔?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@leatherback , @Shibui , @Paradox , @bwaynef , @Potawatomi13 ,
Thanks.
BEFORE I take it out of the training pot, here are some pictures of the tree today, if it helps. Legends above the pictures.

The tree.
20221202_142752.jpg

Good and dying foliage at the same time, it has been like that for months.
20221202_142921.jpg

The good.
20221202_143051.jpg

The bad and the ugly.
20221202_142908.jpg

The borer holes. Many. Plenty of them.
Killed them all, or so I hope.
I haven't seen any of the pests for weeks.
20221202_142852.jpg

New growth, needle like.
20221202_143004.jpg

New growth, scale like.
20221202_143023.jpg

Being sincere, I don't know if there is any hope, despite the new growth.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
With junipers, if there's new growth, there's hope. Based on what I'm seeing, I don't think that's spider mites. That looks like a direct result of those borers. I don't know if you have any available to you there, but this is a time when systemic insecticides might help.

I've never dealt with borers though. Might consider horticultural oil (after considering how junipers sometimes resent oil ....especially in the heat of the growing season) ...or wrapping the pot in plastic and submerging the top in water to drown them. I'm not positive how effective either option might be.

It could also be that you did kill them all but damage is still showing up.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have no worries at all taking that out of the pot and without trimming roots, taking a look and afterwards potting up again. Buuut.. It does not feel like root issues. I am with @bwaynef that is might be linked to the borers still. The new needle foliage is encouraging.

When was the last time it really grew runners?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If they sell any sprays to treat your house against silverfish (or paperfish, those bugs that live in everybody's homes).. I found those to be great borer killers, and the sprays usually come with a plastic straw so you can spray directly in the borer hole.
That's how I got rid of boring beetles in my junipers at least.

In my opinion the tree itself doesn't look beyond saving. I think there's a big chance that it'll live.

What triggers my interest is this part:
Untitled.jpg
Because it's showing thickening that I've only seen with certain types of rust. That doesn't mean it's rust! Not at all. It's just something that seems out of the ordinary, and it's directly connected to the affected branch.
Could you maybe take a look under the bark? If it's orange, that's bad news.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
What do you hope to accomplish with the repot? Just curious as you said that the soil is good, it’s not rootbound and it percs well. Those are the reasons you would generally repot a tree. It’s said that the vigor of a juniper is contained in the foliage (pines in the roots) and I guess that would make me think to look somewhere else besides out of season repotting as a possible solution as I would worry about doing further damage.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is proof of borer activity. Considering they eat cambium. And can travel under the bark . There destruction can be extensive . Unless I’m missing something there appears to be no other evidence of what could be damaging the health of the tree . Since the tree is pushing growth . Most likely in response to the borers . There appears to be no logical reason to risk a out of season repot . Which will weaken the tree . Let the tree recover from the buries . What will die you can not change at this point . Ryan Neal speaks of cleaning the live vein . For this exact reason . Borers or the enemy . I feel for you have had my wars with apple 🍎 borers . Suggest plug the holes there exit holes . New holes or sawdust means you still have borers . On the subject of emergency repot I have experience . A friend had his collection the victim of sabotage . A asshole poured Miratic acid brick cleaner on his collection . We bare rooted and reported everything multiple species in the worst heat of midsummer . The acid killed trees . But those that survived did not seem to have any effects from the repot . Again multiple species but the acid aside the trees were all healthy before for what it’s worth if the tree was mine I would not repot

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@leatherback , @Shibui , @Paradox , @bwaynef , @Potawatomi13 ,
Thanks.
BEFORE I take it out of the training pot, here are some pictures of the tree today, if it helps. Legends above the pictures.

The tree.
View attachment 464571

Good and dying foliage at the same time, it has been like that for months.
View attachment 464572

The good.
View attachment 464573

The bad and the ugly.
View attachment 464574

The borer holes. Many. Plenty of them.
Killed them all, or so I hope.
I haven't seen any of the pests for weeks.
View attachment 464575

New growth, needle like.
View attachment 464576

New growth, scale like.
View attachment 464577

Being sincere, I don't know if there is any hope, despite the new growth.
Have a little faith, my friend! I am confident you can pull it through this setback! Personally have seen junipers recover from much, much worse. I think there is excellent chance this will pull through.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
What do you hope to accomplish with the repot? Just curious...
Well, I want to see how those roots are.
If there is any root rot, insects, hollow soil somewhere, and the such.
If after taking it out of the pot I am sure that I will have to trim some roots for any reason, then I will enjoy the ride and change the soil.

Top Bottom