The Survivor Zelkova

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a zelkova that was brutally collected by a friend of mine in the fall of 2017. It had to be removed for obvious reasons. I’ll let the pics tell most of the story.
E60933ED-EB6E-4831-9AA0-8842B81EE3CC.jpeg

I do not have a pic of the roots but you can imagine there was not much to be had. It was pruned back and removed with a choke strap and a rubber tire loader. There was only 3 little nubs of root about an inch and a half long.
3D1BE172-11F8-40C2-B261-7ABC6E5B9D2E.jpeg

I dusted heavily with rooting hormone and potted it regular potting soil. It sat outside in the shade for only a couple of weeks and then brought in to the garage because of freezing temps. It got set back out early spring of last year and I had no hope of it’s survival. We were making a dump run for some other stuff and went grab the this dead tree and I found this.
4FEF5377-D095-47F4-AC8B-D7087BDAB8D6.jpeg
3803AB65-5C93-47B1-B7F0-54CA8CD4E1DA.jpeg

I fertilized it heavy all summer long 2018 and got good growth. This is the repot today.
866015F9-8842-4750-99C9-0E7BB72B20A5.jpeg
876355EE-2609-4192-BE29-E4B994D6B871.jpeg
Now I have to figure out what to do with the top next year. Any suggestions are welcome. ;)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, I guess it hasn't sprouted again, out of the crack between your friend's foundation and sidewalk? If not by a little later this year, I guess you're also a hero!

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So, I guess it hasn't sprouted again, out of the crack between your friend's foundation and sidewalk? If not by a little later this year, I guess you're also a hero!
I think it did sprout again last year. I’m not sure what they are doing with it if it comes back. Probably Round-up. I’m not saving it again ;)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I understand that, in Japan, zelkova are nearly always designed as broom style (which is the natural growth habit).
You have the opportunity to do that with this tree. Just remove the lower trunk/branches and focus on the higher branch division which looks to be a good height. Cut those 2 trunks down to about 1/3 height of initial section of the trunk and train the resulting shoots into ascending trunk/branches. repeat prune, grow as the new shoots lengthen. Also need to change the trunk angle. Broom is formal upright style so trunk should be vertical if possible.

Outside Japan we can make new rules. If you prefer informal upright you could remove the right fork to give some taper and change of angle. Also need to prune the remaining trunk about the same place as above then select new leader to continue trunk line keeping taper and good lines in mind.
Imho the lowest branch/trunk is too low to be useful so remove it unless you want extra trunk thickening. Next side branch could be used in a short tree. Could also be used as new leader if you are game to cut that low and would like a strongly twisted zelkova.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This is likely Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia rather than Zelkova. Chinese elms are common street trees in Georgia, and sometimes spread by seed. I often see them growing in sidewalks in Atlanta. Piedmont park is full of little volunteer Chinese elms. Zelkova in cultivation does not flower or set fruit to the best of my knowledge. I believe a lot of 'zelkovas' sold in the US for bonsai are intentionally mislabeled Chinese elms, in order to get past an import ban on genus ulmus.

Top Bottom