The tale of the unwanted bald cypress

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A friend of mine wanted me to collect a bald cypress tree for him. I sent a couple of pictures of it all potted up after collection. He desided against this one. So, I took it back out to where I collected it and kind of half-heartedly "planted" it back in the edge of the swamp. Basically, I just wallowed out a depression in the muck, stuck the tree in it and swept the muck back over the almost non-existant rootball.
Fast forward a couple of months and I went back to check on it. Well, the water rose a foot or so and the tree had floated out of it's hole and was floating horizontal at the surface. It had sprouted on the side facing up and the roots had grown mostly facing down into the murky swamp water. I figured if it wanted to live that bad, I'd take it home and give it a fighting chance. This is what it looks like about 11 months since I first dug it. I had forgot about the nice jog at the base. It should make a nice addition to my collection.

unnamed - 2020-12-09T112437.263.jpgunnamed - 2020-12-09T112412.669.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice tree!

It is incredible how tough Bald Cypress are. I moved homes last winter, with no winter protection at our temporary intermediate location. My one and only BC survived, much to my surprise, a Denver winter in a pot with zero protection. I don’t know that I would necessarily recommend that and will protect more in the future now that I have the means, but I love this species.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Colorado, I've collected 30-40 of them and have never lost any. I've had them not fully sprout all up and down the trunk. Those couple did sprout from the bottom 5 inches, though.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Don't really want to get into the shipping thing. There's more to that than meets the eye. However, I thought about selling a few to be picked up here. I'm a little over an hour from New Orleans. How's this idea? You take your wife for a nice few days in N.O., stop by here to pick up the tree on your way home. Everybody's happy!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's not many trees I travel a thousand miles for. I was hoping for a bare rooted wet log wrapped in a plastic bag sent ground UPS. Back in the day I sent myself Bougies from Naples that way in Jan. & Feb. and never had a casualty. I'd be happy to prepay...

Top Bottom