The telephone pole pyracantha and the troublesome top

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is difficult to find pyracantha of any significant caliper in my area, but I wanted one bad so I got this. :rolleyes:

The rightward slant helps with the telephone pole trunk somewhat, but look at that top! I just can't quite figure out what to do with it. The tree had grown bushy over the spring, so I trimmed it today, but I am holding off doing much in the apex until I solve this problem. Any suggestions?

0603210946a.jpg

Close-up from the front:
0603210948.jpg

And the back:
0603210948a.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a couple pyracantha and a bunch growing locally. 1-2 year branches are relatively easy to work with, but old wood is very hard to bend.

You've got long straight trunk now w/ some taper at the bottom. Bent portion up top is a bit thick.

If you wanted to train this as an upright with windy branches, I'd consider this as a new leader - it should be wireable later in the growing season:

Inkedpyra_LI.jpg

Did you repot this spring? I've also noticed much stronger growth in mine the year after repotting... but both were bare rooted.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a couple pyracantha and a bunch growing locally. 1-2 year branches are relatively easy to work with, but old wood is very hard to bend.

You've got long straight trunk now w/ some taper at the bottom. Bent portion up top is a bit thick.

If you wanted to train this as an upright with windy branches, I'd consider this as a new leader - it should be wireable later in the growing season:

Yes, I have definitely experienced the hardness of this wood. Holy moley! Also, every bud seems to produce two shoots, so I was doing a lot of shoot selection on this one.

It is hard to tell from this view, but that section of trunk on the right hand side of your circle takes an abrupt turn towards the viewer, so it would be hard to cut it in such a way that would look good. I will look at it, though. If the species reliably buds back, I might just cut it above the second branch.

What did you think of my idea of a severe cutback in the virtual above?

Also, I am not sure if it has been recently repotted. I purchased it like this. It seems pretty well established in this grow pot, though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Prya has reliably backbudded onto old wood for me. If you do a more aggressive chop - good chance you'll be gifted a suitable leader.

Cutback you posted could be interesting. Would you be hoping for a leader bud on the other side of the tree and keeping that branch lower branch?

The second branch on the right seems like it's placed in a good spot and slightly thinner than the bottom branch. Could also consider that as a potential chop spot. Seems like you still have some decent taper in that area.

In either case, I agree chop is the way to go. Would be great to see pics of the chop and whatever buds you get down the line!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A tree should bow toward the viewer. So forgetting angle changes as a possibilityat this time. Let's think this through a short walk.

Turn the tree so the front bends toward you...and the angle top trunk points over your shoulder a tad. Like at 4 or 5 o'clock. (Right now it is pointing at 2 o'clock off to the side wall. ) Would like to see an image from that as a front just to see what it brings.

Turn this clockwise so that top of the trunk looks to point over your right shoulder. And take a photo of it.
0603210946a.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They air layer easily and fast. If you're going to chop, I'd air layer the top first.

Top Bottom