THE TEN YEAR PLAN...cascade neagari trident maple

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Since there is no forum for neagari I chose to place it into the cascade forum. Since that is my final goal. A neagari trident maple cascade. Why ten years? Because I am wishing for something less dainty. A statement specimen if you will.

Prepping the pot.
image.jpg

I cut off the rectangular end of the flexible spout for a better fit inside the pot.
image.jpg

Placed a three holes to line up with the side holes in the pot to secure later.
image.jpg

Attach wire for the tie down to secure to the pot.
image.jpg

Fill substrate to above holes moving a bit to expose the hole for wiring in flex spout.
image.jpg

Wire in flex spout to pot.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Once flexible spout is wired and secure...
image.jpg
Add a small layer of substrate than filled with extra large pumice to the point of where the roots will come to so I can adjust large pumice around roots of trident.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Used tubing to protect from cutting into bark while I secured the top end of the tree. As well as using bicycle inner tube to protect other edge near cut off plastic of spout edge.

image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice work! Honest the 10 year mindset will most likely net success :) Cool project!

Grimmy
Thanks Grimmy!

Taking documentation took time...dragging out the process. I will do my other tree tomorrow. No need for documentation that mimics this one.

Scott Lee told me the time in getting a substantial specimen would be ten years. Jonas from Bonsai Tonight confirmed Scott's thought process. It's a lazy man's project. Everything is set up and done. Now it's easy...just offer horticultural care...and once roots are a bit more established I wish to chop and start on the cascade. But feel the foliage will help the roots to get going. So will leave it go awhile...a year...possibly two before I chop it.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hey, congrats! Looks like an exciting long term project.
PLEASE keep us posted on the progression?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The sewer pipe is a a good idea to get the curve you want in the roots?. was this your idea or something found online?
edit: sorry...or in a book?
I believe either Scott Lee...or Jonas suggested drainage pipe when I mentioned my concern of wanting roots that bent into a cascade form. Had a concrete sub of ours give me some. But...it won't hold it's shape. Was going to have to wire it and didn't like the idea of that. Went to Ace to see if they had a thinner drainage pipe that I could bend easier and stumbled upon this flexible spout. Which is AWESOME!

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Great find and great idea, seems like it will be easy to remove with a pair of scissors too. I may have to try this with a few different trees I have. Maybe some of my black pine seedlings when they are ready too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great find and great idea, seems like it will be easy to remove with a pair of scissors too. I may have to try this with a few different trees I have. Maybe some of my black pine seedlings when they are ready too.
Totally encourage you to do so! Once it's set up...I honestly feel it's a lazy man's project...all you need is horticultural care and patience.

Bonsai Tonight is where I got my larger pumice. For larger loose and twisted roots you need the extra large pumice.

***Jonas told me that.) The large pumice allows for straighter neagari.
https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/bonsai-soil

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Totally encourage you to do so! Once it's set up...I honestly feel it's a lazy man's project...all you need is horticultural care and patience.

Bonsai Tonight is where I got my larger pumice. For larger loose and twisted roots you need the extra large pumice.

***Jonas told me that.) The large pumice allows for straighter neagari.
https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/bonsai-soil

looks like a lazy mans setup that is what i liked. lol
was it large or extra large you purchased?
Do you think the red lava rock would work instead of pumice? I ask because I have that

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I actually used both. Since if you look at my desired inspirational photo...the roots that come off the tree are more straight. The lower...have more movement yet are close. The extra large pumice where the roots would eventually grow. The large pumice up where existing roots are. So I could use a chopstick and wiggle the pumice into the roots there.

Tomorrow I will use only the large pumice for straighter roots...and in ten years...will see which I prefer of the two.

Now, had there not been any substantial roots...I would have topped root area with regular substrate to help encourage roots to grow. But filled most the pipe with the pumice. You can also run questions by Jonas via email. He was great...and has years of experience with long term neagari projects.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 15

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you think the red lava rock would work instead of pumice? I ask because I have that
Missed the red lava...I would ask Jonas, because he's done these for years. He would be honest with you. I used pumice...because he did a blog using pumice with a neagari project. Or maybe one here could answer your question...if not here on my thread. Create a new thread post of your own asking the question. I honestly don't know.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will you leave the tree in this set up for the full ten years? Or will you need to repot at some point?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Will you leave the tree in this set up for the full ten years? Or will you need to repot at some point?

I will eventually start to remove the flex spout length most likely starting around 4-5 year point. Exposing the roots slowly. Will watch for roots to escape the pot. Then...it may need repoted. Will most likely lay on side and break the pot. If allowed to be root bound should help with holding pumice in flex spout. Will trim and repot. That's the intended plan. If the pot can't be saved.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool project, thanks for showing how you are going about it:)
Looking forward to updates to come, good luck with it!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very cool project, thanks for showing how you are going about it:)
Looking forward to updates to come, good luck with it!
Thank you...I felt the flex pipe needed secured for such a long term project. Which is why I shared all the steps. The trident is starting to leaf out now...? will be glad when temps allow all my trees outside the greenhouse.

Even my five year plan Goji Berry I have wired into the pot the bottles used to create a much more delicate neagari. But I didn't show the steps with it. We wire in out trees...so securing the entire project was key for myself.

Top Bottom