The thread grafting thread!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok this will be a wealth of knowledge for every one to use a a resource for the purpouse of thread grafting post your knowledge on the subject as follows.

Type of material
zone you are in
time of year you thread graft
sucess rate

Hopefully we can get a comprehensive collection of materials and zones and perfered time of year to help us all in getting it right .

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have attempted one on a collected Hawthorn, it was done 2 years ago spring. At this point the branch is a bit bigger on the branch side than the donor side( I used an existing branch ). Hawthorn grow somewhat slowly but I am thinking that this years growth should force the closure and "graft" I hope will take and hold. Hopefully you can see it in the attached photo, it goes from the cut off trunk across to the taller trunk and to the rear a bit. I may or may not keep it in the end, it was kind of a try and see, not ready to decide yet, if it takes.

Attachments

• hawthornyamadori.jpg
    hawthornyamadori.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 100
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome I also have a hwathorn that I may employ this to now I know you can with relative sucess.Spring is when you performed it that is very valuable information aswell thanks for sharing.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Seth, all you need is for there to be no leaves on the grafted branch, so it fits thru the hole thru the tree, late winter/early spring. The smaller the buds the tighter you can make the hole, thus quicker to graft together.

Top Bottom