The Three of a Kind Challenge

Reaction score
USDA Zone
... I'm hoping neither of you did #1, cuz I'd be embarrassed to claim that little thingy hanging down under the cascade.

Lol, that little "thingy" is actually pointing outward, not hanging at all. I have a tendency to leave too much foliage on during the first styling. It can always be removed easily, but it is a real pain to put back on. ;)

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Speed Bonsai....Speedsai? lol.

Will

Speed + Crap = Diarrheasai? Maybe a more gentile definition would be Runsai. The people that got the trees as they were raffled off, or however they did what they did, were happy with them and everybody had a good time,---- and no one felt cheated. The trees were bonsai nursery cultivated, very healthy, and had one excellent trait, which is the major advantage to this kind of material and the major problem with this kind of material. In this case the trunks were dynamic and large, but the foliage left a lot to desire as far as placement and internal growth.

Given time and some skill, the trees will back bud and the branch/foliage issue should resolve themselves. Contrarty to what some may indicate there is no magic bullet in bonsai. Regardless of what your stock is, where you obtained it, unless you purchased a finished bonsai, the tree is going to need a lot of work. But I thought that was why we did bonsai or am I again missing something?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regardless of what your stock is, where you obtained it, unless you purchased a finished bonsai, the tree is going to need a lot of work.

True, very true. Be it ramification, branch placement, root work, whatever, the creation process with any such raw stock takes effort and it takes time.

Will

Top Bottom