The Three of a Kind Challenge

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am sure you all are familiar with the three-of-a-kind demo in which three people each style a similar piece of stock at the same time in front of a group of people.

Below are three pieces of raw stock for your consideration.

More to come.....

Attachments

• 3ofkind_001_before.jpg
    3ofkind_001_before.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 3ofkind_002_before.jpg
    3ofkind_002_before.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 3ofkind_003_before.jpg
    3ofkind_003_before.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Below are the same three trees, in the same order, after the demo was done.

One of the trees was done by Vance Wood, the other by John Stevens, and the last by myself.

The challenge is to see if work posted by Vance and myself in the past is enough to correctly choose which tree were styled by us, specifically, which was Vance's work and which was mine. Does a person have a style of design that carries with them, no matter what they are styling?

Later I will post pictures of the demo itself.

Just having fun,

Will

Attachments

• 3ofkind_001_after.jpg
    3ofkind_001_after.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 3ofkind_002_after.jpg
    3ofkind_002_after.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 3ofkind_003_after.jpg
    3ofkind_003_after.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah, if you would like, tell us what you think of the trees, this could be interesting doing so before the circumstances are told...?

Will

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think Will 1, Vance 2. I think that everybody did a good job in a short time with the crapsai provided...

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Will Tree #3
Vance Tree #1

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that everybody did a good job in a short time with the crapsai provided...
"crapsai" . . I like that!

We obviously have NO idea judging from the voting! I'm hoping neither of you did #1, cuz I'd be embarrassed to claim that little thingy hanging down under the cascade.

grouper52

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In all honesty without trying to pick a fight, this just proves my point about demos.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In all honesty without trying to pick a fight, this just proves my point about demos.

Well, that's it, Chris proved a point, we can all go home now.. :)

Considering you know absolutely nothing about the demo yet, I'll take your opinion at its full worth, thank you.

So do you want in on the challenge, as described, or is something else on the agenda for this evening?

Allow me to quote myself....

"Just having fun"

Will

Last edited:

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"crapsai" . . I like that!

We obviously have NO idea judging from the voting! I'm hoping neither of you did #1, cuz I'd be embarrassed to claim that little thingy hanging down under the cascade.

grouper52

Actually I got that little gem from Al (Smoke) from a post he wrote the other day on Da Nut. Not sure of the origin, so I will just credit him.

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cascade could be better if the rainbow branches were removed from the trunk and it was styled a little more tidy and wired out completley, I see a bonsai in it for sure. The theme was set for this one, thats about all one can really hope for I guess in a first style job from basic home depot trees like this.

I have no comment on the other 2 more upright ones.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The challenge is to see if work posted by Vance and myself in the past is enough to correctly choose which tree were styled by us, specifically, which was Vance's work and which was mine. Does a person have a style of design that carries with them, no matter what they are styling?

Will

Oh yeah, if you would like, tell us what you think of the trees, this could be interesting doing so before the circumstances are told...?

Will

Well, that's it, Chris proved a point, we can all go home now.. :)

Considering you know absolutely nothing about the demo yet, I'll take your opinion at its full worth, thank you.

So do you want in on the challenge, as described, or is something else on the agenda for this evening?

Allow me to quote myself....

"Just having fun"

Will

You also asked what we think about the trees. In my opinion, which is worth what it is worth, these look like a blindfolded demo from start to finish. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which is which. What's the point? I suppose you are working for some big ah-HA moment.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Will, I don't want this to come of the wrong way, but why would 3 experienced people even consider working on that type of material. The first piece was marginal as workable material for an instant bonsai and will one day down the road I guess be alright. I suppose it got the point across.

The second two are ... well .... are not even a consideration for demo material. The foliage is so far flung to the end of the branches that, even if you cranked the branches around to try and compact the image it still would not work. I see no point in guessing who did what with which piece of material because there is nothing there to work with, so that a representation of a certain persons "style" would be evident. Your demo from your last thread dealing with demos the material seemed to be better.

I think if there was ever a argument about garden center material this would certainly be it. I do salute You and Vance for having the cojones to deal with this level of material and try to teach with it. You guys should really have a talk with who ever is choicing these junipers for you :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You also asked what we think about the trees.

True, and then you came in and talked about the demo instead of the topic and then you continued with an implied insult by posting the words "these look like a blindfolded demo from start to finish."

As of this post, you have yet to hazard a guess or discuss the actual trees, which is the only topic on this thread. Seriously Chris, go pick your fights elsewhere, it is boring, is has grown old, and it is not welcome here.

As I said before, you have no clue as to what you are talking about, you have no information at all as to how the demo was set up, why these trees were picked, the time alloted, or anything at all about these pictures. What could you possibly be basing your opinion about this demo on? I'll tell you, you are basing your "opinion" based solely on the participants because no other information has been given. You can not tell who styled what so you can't tear apart a tree, so you attack the whole thing.

I actually pity you.

Congratulations Chris, you proved a point alright.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Tom, sorry seen your post after I gave up on this thread.

Demos, ah demos.

Typically the person invited has little if any choice in the matter of choosing stock, you get there and they say, here ya go...

You drive to the demo, you get your room, you set up your vending area, and then you see your stock, not many people walk away.You do the best with what you have, play the hand you're dealt, such is life and such is bonsai.

Although I understand your point about garden center material, these junipers were field grown and from a bonsai nursery. I understand your assumption though, many people assume many things and without solid definitions of stock and the quality of such, this will not change.

Later,

Will

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Although I understand your point about garden center material, these junipers were field grown and from a bonsai nursery. I understand your assumption though, many people assume many things and without solid definitions of stock and the quality of such, this will not change.

Well shut my mouth!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The above trees were done during a demo at this years Michigan All State Show. Vance Wood, John Stevens, and myself did the same three-of-a-kind demo at last years show. They liked us enough that they invited us back again this year. Both Vance and myself also were scheduled for workshops and we had a few tables in the vending area so it was a very busy, but fun weekend.

We were not pleased with the way the stock was handled last year, a local bonsai merchant "loaned" the trees to the sponsoring club and after the demo the trees were returned to his shop where he marked up the prices and sold them, giving no income to the club.

This year we were assured that the material would be better and that the proceeds would at least go to the sponsoring club when the trees were sold.

Once at the demo area we saw the trees which were originally field grown by a bonsai nursery in Ohio. They had us put our names in a can and then drew for order of choice on the trees. So far it was all fine and dandy, sure the stock could have been better, but hey, you play the hand you're dealt, nothing you can do about it, just do the best you can without complaint. Complaining never helps anyhow and far too many people blame the stock anyhow.

But here's the kicker....

The show was over scheduled slightly as they wanted to have a lot of activities over the weekend and at the demo we were informed that the three-of-a-kind was scheduled to last a mere 45 minutes. That's right, from start to finish, 45 whole minutes. I was scheduled to teach a Bungin workshop right afterward as well.

So what do you do? Cry and complain, bitch and moan? No, you play the hand you're dealt. We had a great time, the organizers were happy and the crowd seemed to enjoy the demo very much judged on the attention it received and the questions asked.

Fortunately, the workshops were all scheduled properly and time was there to actually instruct and inspire.

Below are a few photos from the demo, please excuse the blur lines, we were moving quite quickly. ;) There was no time at all for detail wiring, fine tuning, just enough time to suggest a future and run.

Speed Bonsai, now there's a sport for you! :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the start of the demo. The trees here are in the same order shown in the first posts here. From left to right, me, Vance Wood, John Steven.

All in all the stock wasn't bad for San Jose Junipers, the foliage was mature and incredible soft, no sharp needles at all. I always tend to leave too much foliage on when doing a first styling. I try and show the future of the tree and I do not re-pot. I do however cut down the height of the container using a knife. This allows for the trunk and any Nebari to be shown without harming the tree.

Attachments

• 2007_all_state_001_500.jpg
    2007_all_state_001_500.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 2007_all_state_002_500.jpg
    2007_all_state_002_500.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 17
  • 2007_all_state_003_500.jpg
    2007_all_state_003_500.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 2007_all_state_004_500.jpg
    2007_all_state_004_500.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2007_all_state_005_500.jpg
    2007_all_state_005_500.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
45 minutes went by quickly and I had to run to do a workshop, leaving Vance and John to tidy up a bit. After I was gone the last photos were taken, one showing Vance eyeballing my tree, most likely thinking why he ever agreed to teach me, lol.

Will

Attachments

• 2007_all_state_006_500.jpg
    2007_all_state_006_500.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2007_all_state_007_500.jpg
    2007_all_state_007_500.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom