The Tree Thread

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sometimes it takes time to get a tree to become something. Sometimes it takes vision to see the future in the bones and foliage of a young tree. Sometimes you feel something about a tree as unlikely a bonsai it may appear in the beginning.

This Mugo was a total cut down in 2000 and today it is one of my favorite bonsai. I have said it many times before; it is not my desire to own world class bonsai it is to make world class bonsai. Not there yet but I am not unhappy with this tree.

Both images are of the same tree separated by 17 years.ShohinMughoApril2K copy 2.jpgDSC_5720Mugo copy.jpg

Reaction score
Shore Pine, Pinus Contorta. This one requires major root adaptation prior to establishing a better planting angle. One advantage of a deep mica pot is the ability to change the shape with a saw and secure difficult trunk shapes in collected specimens. This tree is set for recovery and will not be worked until 2020. One of the trees i collected this fall. Excellent health for a Yamadori and more foliage than usual. Better than average options for design and definate age in the trunk and bark. Dropping a few old needles at this time.View attachment 215854View attachment 215855View attachment 215856
This would make a neat cascade imho.

Below some fall colours. One from a vine maple I'm air layering from and the other from a blueberry :)

Attachments

• IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2380.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2481.JPG
    IMG_2481.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 36

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This would make a neat cascade imho.

Below some fall colours. One from a vine maple I'm air layering from and the other from a blueberry :)
I can see that possibility. When collected the only visible portion was the top upright section, the rest was hidden in the duff that had grown accumulated over the years. The trunk movement is somewhat obscured from this angle, we are actually looking at what i suspect will finally become the backside of the design.
Here is one of my smaller collected shore pines, Recovery from collection in 2015 and happy up in one of my grow boxes. Time for some initial design work. This tree has some definite age, trunk movement and nice bark. Reasonable choice of branches and design options.
IMG_0600.JPG

Reaction score
I can see that possibility. When collected the only visible portion was the top upright section, the rest was hidden in the duff that had grown accumulated over the years. The trunk movement is somewhat obscured from this angle, we are actually looking at what i suspect will finally become the backside of the design.
Here is one of my smaller collected shore pines, Recovery from collection in 2015 and happy up in one of my grow boxes. Time for some initial design work. This tree has some definite age, trunk movement and nice bark. Reasonable choice of branches and design options.
View attachment 218965
Where (region) do you collect shore pines from? :0 *jealous*

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where (region) do you collect shore pines from? :0 *jealous*
1. You need to post a tree with every post in this thread.
2. That's like asking a fly fisherman where his best spot for steelhead is?
3. Oh and also please post for the world to see:eek:
4. Pinus Contorta are all up and down the Pacific Northwest, lots over there on the dark side. Check out the lower elevation exposed bog sites along the coast.
5. It is also advisable to get permission from the land owner.
6. Oh and i can tell you from experience if you tell two friends they will tell two friends and then the resulting group activity will cause the landowner to close off access.

This is my smallest shore pine, rock planting. Tree is six inches high.IMG_0668.JPG

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. You need to post a tree with every post in this thread.
2. That's like asking a fly fisherman where his best spot for steelhead is?
3. Oh and also please post for the world to see:eek:
4. Pinus Contorta are all up and down the Pacific Northwest, lots over there on the dark side. Check out the lower elevation exposed bog sites along the coast.
5. It is also advisable to get permission from the land owner.
6. Oh and i can tell you from experience if you tell two friends they will tell two friends and then the resulting group activity will cause the landowner to close off access.

This is my smallest shore pine, rock planting. Tree is six inches high.View attachment 218987

You mean you don't want to post the coordinates for your best fishing and collecting spots on the interwebs for all to see?? Inconceivable.

Don't even ask...
IMGP1267b.jpg

And because I owe a tree here's an Andy Smith Ponderosa that I worked on this year.
2018-06-14 20.36.48.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 So surprised you're playing with a Trident maple. Thought you'd never do it ?

Here is a Seiryu I've grown for airlayer. Didn't cut it at all this year、because it was weak last year.
View attachment 218988

Martin me either! But this one was hard to turn down. In fact I wanted to buy piglet from Don when he first posted it but Judy beat me to the punch! Nice seiryu. I love that cultivar!

Ginkgo "chi-chi" next to a zelkova.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Could you tell us where you are getting Ezzo Spruce? Sorry, I forgot to look at your avatar location, you Live in Japan---am I correct? We cannot get them here in any numbers.
Yes, I’m in japan, ezo actually isn’t even that expensive here. It’s not really a tree for warmer areas, and Tokyo are is actually not a very good climate. I have a few here but most are in Hokkaido at my friends place who has the nursery, I plan to move to Hokkaido with the next 2 years.
You're killin us here in North America with all these Ezo! Beautiful trees!
Redneck arakawa maple.View attachment 219032
A little teaser of this tree I have in Hokkaido, this might well be the last true Yamadori (with decent size I mean) collected about 5 years ago by as far as I know the last real collector of Ezo spruces, unfortunately he died 2 years ago.
8679353B-0A53-499A-BAF3-4F55AE2B1B86.jpeg

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Holy tease batman, Tommy! Can’t wait to see the whole tree.

A future malus shohin before winter storage, with the two sacrifice branches (almost 2’ each) that I let run the whole year. Not apparent from the picture is that this is going to be a semi-exposed roots tree (second picture is from the repotting last spring).

IMG_20181111_115349.jpgIMG_20180423_190635.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sometimes it takes time to get a tree to become something. Sometimes it takes vision to see the future in the bones and foliage of a young tree. Sometimes you feel something about a tree as unlikely a bonsai it may appear in the beginning.

This Mugo was a total cut down in 2000 and today it is one of my favorite bonsai. I have said it many times before; it is not my desire to own world class bonsai it is to make world class bonsai. Not there yet but I am not unhappy with this tree.

Both images are of the same tree separated by 17 years.View attachment 218961View attachment 218962
There nothing wrong with owning and maintaining world class bonsai. That doesn’t mean you can’t also create them. There’s many ways to enjoy this hobby!

Nice Mugo, by the way!

Meanwhile, here’s a little JBP I’m working up for next summer’s shohin show:

BB7A77AC-9BA1-472B-BAD8-3C16C112C24D.png

Top Bottom