The Tree Thread

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think this a brilliant tree. My first impulse is to credit a very keen 3 dimensional imagination, because this is just plain weird in the best possible sense. If you let your eyes go out of focus and take it as an impression, everything is just exactly where it should be in the most unexpected way.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think this a brilliant tree. My first impulse is to credit a very keen 3 dimensional imagination, because this is just plain weird in the best possible sense. If you let your eyes go out of focus and take it as an impression, everything is just exactly where it should be in the most unexpected way.

Thank You for the praise. I can't get at the tree at the moment or I would post an update.DrDRG2016 copy 2.jpg

Reaction score
Abies koreana first step, 2018 to today 27-2-19 plus future view.

Abies Koreana 1 oud .jpg

Abies Koreana 27-2-2019 blurred top removed.jpeg

Abies Koreana 28-2-2019 future.jpeg

I'm surprised by the amount of backbuds by the way, almost every branch has a few, close to the trunk and even on the trunk itself. The top might need to come more to the left side and there is some extra branches left that might be removed (looking at you, second branch on the left).

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@A. Gorilla - I've seen Vance's tree in person, and it is even better than the video. At the show 2016? the jin was perfect, looked nice and weathered enough. It flows very nicely.

@atlarsenal - I would like to see how the sweetgum turn out. The landscape trees have wonderful autumn color, most as bonsai have had difficulties with getting proportions right.

Getting impatient for spring to arrive. Satsuki 'Kegon' picked up from David Kreutz in May of 2018
IMG_20180501_143411175.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Spring is trying to happen in my garden. Trees don’t know it’s going down to 21 Tuesday morning. Glad I haven’t started repotting, but it’s becoming a squeeze play. Corkbark Chinese Elm in a Koyo.
FFA1BB91-94A9-41AA-87BC-66474A9E49C0.jpeg

Top Bottom