The Tree Thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I *think* there’s a tree in there somewhere... (Acer palmatum raft)
View attachment 255668
Nice tree, wish I could keep maples alive here. Toooo much wind against my backyard.

Here is a more recent pic of my JBP lightly wired and cleaned up. I did end up candle pruning a good amount of shoots. The soil is pretty organic heavy so i'll be repotting this spring. It was very overgrown and neglected, but after letting in some light and a few more months it should be pretty healthy and ready for a proper wiring.

Now to find a training pot for it..

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
A neglected JBP I acquired back in early June. My avatar is of it the following day after I cleaned it all up. No the fishing weights are not mine :D
I can post a better picture after work. Cheers.

View attachment 255660
I like the tree but it looks a bit sad and stressed out. Personally I would not touch the tree other than clean it up of all dead growth and stuff that you cannot use.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nice tree----I think. You need to open up the interior of the tree. If treated right Scots Pines' needles reduce dramatically. I do not mean to be snarky, but the trunk can barley be seen, the primary branches hardly at all and anything more than that ----???

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree----I think. You need to open up the interior of the tree. If treated right Scots Pines' needles reduce dramatically. I do not mean to be snarky, but the trunk can barley be seen, the primary branches hardly at all and anything more than that ----???

Thanks. It has some potential, though it is yet to be revealed.

As I said above it's currently a bush that needs thinning out. I have no idea yet which branches will be the primaries, and needle reduction is a few years away.

This is a picture of when it was collected in 2017. Sorry, you can't see the trunk in that either - just including it because I need a picture for the post.
I think It's now strong and established enough to start working on it. I'll post again when the trunk can be seen :)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
JBP grafts. I have switched my grafting period to a bit later this year. Started March 15th and completed the last grafting by mid april. At this point the bags are mostly open buds have extended and i am still keeping a bit of humidity nearby with the sphagnum at the bottom of the bags. I note as usual that the downward facing grafts develop slower. But they do give a much more realistic branch movement right from the beginning if placed correctly!

Attachments

• IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 42

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This Prunus Mume Kobai was a cutting, i kept one leader branchlet to extend this year. Currently topping 8 feet of extension this year. The cut is healing nicely as well. I have added wire so the potential cuttings will have slight movement in the base. I think they are pretty vigorous in the right conditions. We are presently in a heat wave, and the pond basket is drying out to fast. Added some extra protection!IMG_0879.JPGIMG_0880.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This Ezo spruce almost died the first time i worked it. ( 2015 ) I decided to wire and style in the winter , it objected by losing most of its needles! When it recovered (2017) i started by chopping the top to reduce the apex and wired up a tiny branch for a new apex. To try and make the transition more natural i used several sizes of drills creating an ice cream cone shape inside the top 3 inches of the trunk. I then cut and removed a wedge down the three inch section, clamped with a circle clamp to try and match the cambium. Carefully used wood filler made from the ezo sawdust and white wood glue to fill any gaps, covered with cut paste and waited. A year later before releasing the circle clamp i placed a small screw to hold the sides together after release so any remaining pressure would not break the healing area. As you can see from picture two, showing the back side of the new apex, it is working! The overall condition of the tree is excellent at this point. as the apex continues to thicken the transition will improve and i can reduce the smaller top!
The Ezo is now ready for styling this fall.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 46

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This roly poly JBP was decandled June 15th, time to check out a suitable pot View attachment 256687to replace the anderson flat hidden behind.
Way to hide that flat! 😂 I thought it was already in that pot, and was like, it already looks good, what’s wrong with that pot??

Twin trunk Siberian elm, that’s FINALLY looking OK after 5 years. Crown of the primary trunk needs work after accidentally breaking off the original. I’ve got to approach graft some roots. I’ve got a thread graft that needs separation. And a new planting angle and pot. I tell you though, it’s gonna look good naked. 256697

Top Bottom