The Tree Thread

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tree thread boys...need to post pix. Nice crab Paul.
View attachment 278246
Thought I'd got away with it :) hmmm let's see if I have owt..

A pic of my Hawthorn, from the Winter before this, dedicated to Mike Konig who sadly passed away yesterday RIP :(.

IMG_20181108_164512.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This little juniperus virginiana cutting will be 2 years old this spring. I plan on keeping it Shito size if I can. For now just letting it grow but I did put a little wire on it.View attachment 278298
You're in Florida. You can collect a whole bunch of better candidates along the roadsides. Put your snakeboots on and look around. Buy a digging fork and just upset the soil, which is what we call sand up here in the north country, and jerk the plants out, put them into a old bread wrapper and take 'em home. You can graduate to large garbage bags over time, but start small.

This is the USF Data Sheets for Trees in Florida. Too useful to believe it's free. Look through it and fall in love with things that grow wild down there.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're in Florida. You can collect a whole bunch of better candidates along the roadsides. Put your snakeboots on and look around. Buy a digging fork and just upset the soil, which is what we call sand up here in the north country, and jerk the plants out, put them into a old bread wrapper and take 'em home. You can graduate to large garbage bags over time, but start small.

This is the USF Data Sheets for Trees in Florida. Too useful to believe it's free. Look through it and fall in love with things that grow wild down there.
Oops! I believe you were supposed to post a picture of one of your trees when you comment. Here's another of mine -DSCN7158 (2).jpg a small holly tree from seed.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Big ass Candyfloss Tree, Cercidiphyllum Japonicum. It's planted in a dog basket for scale, trunk is a bit thicker than my thigh (sad, yeah I checked, lol). Just one year in development, did some grafting, wiring and carving today.

I used recycled wire - not pretty but functional. There's a graft in that left primary hence the weird curve of the branch above. It's already got a branch grafted on from before - the only other work I've had time to do with it. See if you can spot it (yes it's a visible front facing branch).

It's too big really but I like the foliage in Spring (amazing burgundy, heart shaped leaves slowly maturing to green) and in Autumn, a burnt sugar smell wafts off it, hence the name the Candyfloss Tree.

IMG_20200112_155915.jpg

bluesky

Mame
Reaction score
It's too big really but I like the foliage in Spring (amazing burgundy, heart shaped leaves slowly maturing to green) and in Autumn, a burnt sugar smell wafts off it, hence the name the Candyfloss Tree
Paul, how tall is that? Difficult to guage from the pic (and thigh measurements can be very misleading!)

This is a trident after some dremel fun before wiring.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Paul, how tall is that? Difficult to guage from the pic (and thigh measurements can be very misleading!)

This is a trident after some dremel fun before wiring.

About 28 inches at a rough guess. It needs a much bigger canopy.

Euonymus project to avoid Brian lynching me lol. Has fab red bark when wet.

IMG_20190801_165941.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Spent the evening tidying up my windswept hawthorn - thinning out growth, reducing buds to avoid knuckles, general tidying up. Had to put on a bit of wire which was painful (literally). Sorry about the crappy phone photo. I'll probably do a bit more work on it after studying the photo to see what's needed - middle is still a little congested - and I'll take a better photo after that.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spent the evening tidying up my windswept hawthorn - thinning out growth, reducing buds to avoid knuckles, general tidying up. Had to put on a bit of wire which was painful (literally). Sorry about the crappy phone photo. I'll probably do a bit more work on it after studying the photo to see what's needed - middle is still a little congested - and I'll take a better photo after that.

View attachment 278604
Nice Hawthorn, @TomB!

Did a little clean up on this Blauuws today. Plenty of time to thin it out and do some more tweaking & wiring before it starts growing in April.

IMG_20200113_143926.jpg

Top Bottom