The Tree Thread

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just a few trees on my back deck... mostly these are the ones that got work so far this Spring. DSC00987.JPG
What are those small fern looking weeds?
Where is our tree Cypress?

Those small "fern looking weeds" are.. FERNS! He must have planted them as a sort of ground cover like you would commonly see in forest/ group plantings. I think it is kind of a cool companion for this tree... Being somewhat of an oak looking styled tree, and seeing all the ferns that grow naturally on those trees in the wild here, it seemed a good fit... That and the fact this is a broad leaf evergreen, the ferns die back some in the winter, showing the season you are in even though it is hard to tell by looking at the tree. Similar to the purpose and use of companion plants with pines and juniper.

Last edited:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just looked again at your picture, and i like them alot, but i don't want a big huge ass houseplant fern overshadowing my bonsai.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Little shimpaku Pom pom I worked. Sorry about the jins, they will look better down the road I promise!

Follow up from this post after repot. Took pic of it in my hand to give a little size reference. Happy spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 172

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No ribbons, but I like 'em. Wanted to repot this Pine.....looking at the calendar, well, it's a little late. Buds are barely pushing, maybe just scrap the top soil off and wait 'till next year? At least I could cut it back this summer.DSC00239.JPG

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lordy, I love that second one! great base on it, lots of character for an Azalea.

My little "indestructible" Chinese elmDSC01160.JPG

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
View attachment 71096

.. Do you defoliate when repotting? ..

It really depends on the tree. With lots of fine structure I leave a pair of leaves on every branch-let. If the tree needs growth, same thing. If I plan to show it, I leave some leaves on and remove them as soon as the new buds come out. If I have to repot to revive a tree, more leafs stay. If I need to weaken or strengthen a certain part of the tree, I leave more or less leafs for a headstart and/or cut them in half. If it is a first potting after collecting, I take all leafs off. If it is the second repotting, I leave leafs on. If I need backbudding, I leave the leaf to which I cut back. To reenergize a tree, I first cut the leaves in half and wait for the new buds to emerge and repot then. That is foremost the best and safest spring technique to achieve great vigor and backbudding.

Best,
Dorothy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like this thread too. Always nice to see pretty trees.
Here is a collected azalea I picked up at an auction. Repotted last spring, apparently likes kanuma more than the mix it was in when I got it. Should be in full bloom this weekend.
Hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

• IMG_1684.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Finally have a tree I think is worthy of this thread.
This Brazilian Rain tree just arrived on Friday from Hiram Macias of Olicata Bonsai Studio in Miami.
I bought it from him 2-3 months ago and he held it until the weather got warmer.
It needs a little bit of trimming but I love it.

IMG_1082_small.jpg

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It really depends on the tree. With lots of fine structure I leave a pair of leaves on every branch-let. If the tree needs growth, same thing. If I plan to show it, I leave some leaves on and remove them as soon as the new buds come out. If I have to repot to revive a tree, more leafs stay. If I need to weaken or strengthen a certain part of the tree, I leave more or less leafs for a headstart and/or cut them in half. If it is a first potting after collecting, I take all leafs off. If it is the second repotting, I leave leafs on. If I need backbudding, I leave the leaf to which I cut back. To reenergize a tree, I first cut the leaves in half and wait for the new buds to emerge and repot then. That is foremost the best and safest spring technique to achieve great vigor and backbudding.

Best,
Dorothy

What are we looking at here Dorothy? I like it a lot!

How about another Spirea:
DSCF0016.JPG

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How you keep them small? Aren't ferns huge? You know the species?
I tell you how- NEGLECT! Just ignore them and treat them like unwanted weeds! Damn near killed them when I repotted that sucker... I did an ok job on the repot I think EXCEPT I mounded it too high when I put it back in the pot. I wanted a good layer of soil to give it some room to grow and get vigorous, but I might have gone a little overboard! Next time- a couple years from now- I will bring it back down. Seriously though, I don't do any special"training" of the ferns and have no clue what type they are... Look just like little Boston ferns like I have hanging on my front porch but I have deff never seen those so small.

We can use a pic we have already posted elsewhere, right? I am on my iPad and only have a few stored here, so it'll have to do. Haven' t posted this pic of this tree to this thread yet and it is one I am excited about, so I am going to go for it!

image.jpg

Top Bottom