The Tree Thread

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Buds and beginning of new growth on Mugo repotted last summer.

DSC_0201.JPG

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I shared this Trident Maple in this thread a few pages back, here it is in mid summer, slightly different angle, partially defoliated approx 3 weeks ago. its in development and wont look really good for another 2 seasons i think, the ramification and branch structure needs more maturing.
IMG_1519 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Try lowering one side of the foliage. It would have less of a toadstool silhouette.
Don't forget to include a picture of a tree. Even when remarking on another's tree.

image.jpeg

A shohin JBP that WILL get decandling done tomorrow. My cat knock it off it's perch some time ago, and broke the pot. I stuck it in this one until I can find a better one.

Here's a picture of it at the Atlanta Bonsai Show in 2015:

image.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful bougie, and very nice root stand!!!
Here is an enclosure we built today to keep whatever loves to dig a cavity under my big beech OUT! It re- dug the cavity at least 4 times. Too many to chance it again. Even after I wrapped the whole pot in bird netting it still got in. Screening and hardware cloth with little teeny holes should stop it. I think it's one of our chipmunks. I see their little holes that they pop in and out of in the yard and mulch all the time here. So far it has not even tried to dig any other tree. Must love soft kanuma.
P1010860.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try lowering one side of the foliage. It would have less of a toadstool silhouette.
It does need something I haven't put my finger on it yet. I will consider that. Thanks

My biggest Bougi earlier in the year and now. I'm going to defoliate and wire in a few week when the flowers start dropping. I am looking forward to this.
2015-12-24 22.20.43.jpg 20160715_171615.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although the Utamaro has a couple of flowers now, the main project with this clump has been to stimulate ramification and vegetative growth in general. I've been modestly successful and am looking to improve the tree's refinement.

utamaro tint.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Here's a picture of it at the Atlanta Bonsai Show in 2015:

View attachment 110970

I like this little pine, but I wondered what the general view was about displaying an exposed root tree on a root stand?

Personally I like it and I think it works, but for formal display does it fall foul of the rule of not repeating elements within the display? My thinking is that the roots of the stand could be seen as repeating the roots of the tree. I'd be interested in thoughts on this.

Here's a snap of a Scots pine I have in development (and one of the reasons I'm asking the question).

P1030299

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very Beautiful. I was impressed by all of the Crepe Myrtle we saw on our trip this last summer through the East and South. Actually the first I have seen of one as a bonsai.

Started another redesign of the Hinoki Cypress this year. Still needs a couple of more sessions. I call it The Dancing Lady. You will see the reason for the presumptuous name once I get the 3Ds done of the final design.

DSC_0379.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Crape Myrtle make good bonsai, just need to get a good trunk with taper and movement early. This one will need a chop and to grow, but I wanted to see it bloom first to confirm it was the one I thought it was, among 3 different ones in the yard.
image.jpeg
Hey, Post #1000 on this thread!

Top Bottom