The Tree Thread

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Collected this sub-alpine fir in spring of 2017, it will be healthy enough to begin styling this winter! Solid root recovery and some backbudding already this summer!
One of my favorite trees, too bad they are not available commercially.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Collected this sub-alpine fir in spring of 2017, it will be healthy enough to begin styling this winter! Solid root recovery and some backbudding already this summer!
That looks very promising, are subalpine firs often used as bonsai? In japan there is Abies sachalinensis, i wonder if it’s similar. I haven really seen them as bonsai, worthy one anywayz. Someone told me the foliage get too large . I’ve see some interesting ones in the mountain though here.

Air prooning roots in a bonsai pot
7DB193CC-FDE3-415A-B04D-9A1660A4C538.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That looks very promising, are subalpine firs often used as bonsai? In japan there is Abies sachalinensis, i wonder if it’s similar. I haven really seen them as bonsai, worthy one anywayz. Someone told me the foliage get too large . I’ve see some interesting ones in the mountain though here.

Air prooning roots in a bonsai pot
View attachment 202998
No to my knowledge they are not normally used for Bonsai, relatively unknown actually. ( at least in my region) I have been told that some have tried and found them difficult to keep healthy. They are prone to some fungal issues and some pests in there natural habitat! On the plus side, the foliage seems reducible and they back bud readily. Basically those who tried them did not have very good success when collectors provided them for the first few years some time ago. Perhaps that is what i will also discover as i continue working with the species.
So far i have been able to work with the few issues that have arisen.
Here is the second one i collected in the fall of 2017.

Attachments

• IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    459.7 KB · Views: 48

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No to my knowledge they are not normally used for Bonsai, relatively unknown actually. ( at least in my region) I have been told that some have tried and found them difficult to keep healthy. They are prone to some fungal issues and some pests in there natural habitat! On the plus side, the foliage seems reducible and they back bud readily. Basically those who tried them did not have very good success when collectors provided them for the first few years some time ago. Perhaps that is what i will also discover as i continue working with the species.
So far i have been able to work with the few issues that have arisen.
Here is the second one i collected in the fall of 2017.
I should have mentioned the needle size is approx 2.5 cm or 1 inch as collected. Quite suitable for Bonsai.
Here is a Mountain Hemlock i collected this spring before budbreak. It is doing quite well so far.IMG_1049.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
^ I love the deadwood. that is going to be a very impressive bonsai one day
Thank you for the encouraging words.
I have had difficulty finding examples of other Bonsai with similar characteristics. The closest i have come are a couple of examples in a book by Yoshimura ( 1957 ) which he refers to as coiled style.
He shows pictures of four trees in that category. A Sargent Juniper, (2) Five Needle Pine and a Mongolian Red Shrub.
The deadwood actually originates from a second or split trunk which I believe was the original tree with the current living portion taking over after natural events killed the first. When first collected it was flattened to the ground, over the years i have slowly repositioned the main base more upright to fit in accordance with the remaining roots at the base.
Definitely a unique tree and not likely to fit any particular mold.
WINTER VIEW OF GINKO CLUMPIMG_9155.jpg

Top Bottom