The Tree Thread

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It means that you are not using your camera correctly. Your auto focus is giving you what it is programed to do, and not what you would like it to do.
Thank you for risking the ire of @sorce for helping me out without posting a tree! Very kind of you.

And to avoid doing the same myself, here's a melaleuca yamadori (crossing fingers!)

IMG_20200522_090255.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd rather see no tree than a tree in a pond basket, or a pre bonsai....or straight BS.
Sorce

What is the deal with pond baskets anyway? Every tree I've ever put in a pond basket struggled immediately or died immediately. It's not hard to see why, either. Water flows straight out the sides so there's no air suction, so you get dry spots not matter how much you water. And if you're very unlucky, the tiny holes clog and the roots at the bottom drown.

I have killed or tortured the following species in pond baskets. Never again!
Japanese maple
Crepe myrtle
Wisteria <- how?
Bougainvillea
Rosemary
Privet
Zelkova

I simply don't get the appeal. All of the survivors bounced back immediately when in a proper pot.

In any case, here's a very unhappy, BS pre-bonsai privet in a pond basket (just to annoy you). :cool:

IMG_20190423_072523.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Copper Beech, This tree was taken in for a friend and recovered from fungal issues and insect problems. Emergency repot early last fall and placed in greenhouse for recovery! Roots recovered nicely and foliage extended nicely! Just finished spring work and took a picture todayIMG_1091.jpeg! Will stay in the Anderson flat for the next couple of years to recover completely!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What is the deal with pond baskets anyway? Every tree I've ever put in a pond basket struggled immediately or died immediately. It's not hard to see why, either. Water flows straight out the sides so there's no air suction, so you get dry spots not matter how much you water. And if you're very unlucky, the tiny holes clog and the roots at the bottom drown.

I have killed or tortured the following species in pond baskets. Never again!
Japanese maple
Crepe myrtle
Wisteria <- how?
Bougainvillea
Rosemary
Privet
Zelkova

I simply don't get the appeal. All of the survivors bounced back immediately when in a proper pot.

In any case, here's a very unhappy, BS pre-bonsai privet in a pond basket (just to annoy you). :cool:

View attachment 304398
Nothing to do with your climate compared to other folks?
Here is a Sierra juniper, they like drier circumstances! I took it out of the pond basket, so as to not offend the purists! Growing it out while it adapts to my rain forest climate.IMG_9572.jpegIMG_9572.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nothing to do with your climate compared to other folks?
Here is a Sierra juniper, they like drier circumstances! I took it out of the pond basket, so as to not offend the purists! Growing it out while it adapts to my rain forest climate.View attachment 304564View attachment 304564
You're doing something drastically wrong. I've never heard of any one having a problem with them. I've grown everything from Pines, Junipers, Maples and Hornbeams in them for years.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're doing something drastically wrong. I've never heard of any one having a problem with them. I've grown everything from Pines, Junipers, Maples and Hornbeams in them for years.
LOL, I use them for a lot of species in my nursery. I think you missed my point vance and a tree! It was the OP that was complaining about pond baskets not me! Maybe my point was hidden in sarcasm. IMG_9217.jpegHere is my favourite little Kingsville Boxwood!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm pretty sure the soil question has been settled. Rocks and token peat dust is the answer for all and everything, everywhere. Anyone who would question the Soil of The Gods is morally bankrupt.

Top Bottom