The Tree Thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trident from Murayama Bonsai. I loved the movement of the trunk, but after receiving found an ugly knot of deadwood at the top. Off with her head!

0427211317_HDR.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Spectacular find, and all the little crap is on the exterior.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yp8hdHj.jpg
Well shoot I was looking for this thread yesterday

Japanese quince, Ichiyo

and maples in a sorce!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
5-3-21 before.jpg
Japanese maple forest from seed started in 2014. First I trim it a couple times early in spring, then partially defoliate a couple times in summer. This method seems to work for keeping all the interior growth alive through the season. It also gets a fall cutback/thinning. The number one and two trees are allowed to grow sacrifice leaders to maintain vigor.
5-3-21 after.jpg
It got a new cream pot this year, the last one broke. I subtracted a few trees and added a few saplings back where I wanted them. It's still a few years away from where I want it, but progress is good.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
View attachment 372372
Japanese maple forest from seed started in 2014. First I trim it a couple times early in spring, then partially defoliate a couple times in summer. This method seems to work for keeping all the interior growth alive through the season. It also gets a fall cutback/thinning. The number one and two trees are allowed to grow sacrifice leaders to maintain vigor.
View attachment 372373
It got a new cream pot this year, the last one broke. I subtracted a few trees and added a few saplings back where I wanted them. It's still a few years away from where I want it, but progress is good.
Looks like it developed fast! Did you grow them out in the ground?
20210417_162128.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 372386
View attachment 372386
View attachment 372386
No, just in big training pots. I used drip trays from big plastic pots, drilled holes in them. There's another couple forests I made from this batch, which I put in the ground to get thicker trunks though. I'll post them later.

20210503_153038.jpg

More trimming.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Murayama Bonsai

They ship to you in Utah or you just pass through Sacramento? Or maybe a different Maruyama....

Here's my JWB, leafed out, from first bud break on April 20. Starting to get satisfied with the branches (I'm not original owner) and happy to see these wounds heal up a little bit more each year...slowly but surely.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They ship to you in Utah or you just pass through Sacramento? Or maybe a different Maruyama....

Here's my JWB, leafed out, from first bud break on April 20. Starting to get satisfied with the branches (I'm not original owner) and happy to see these wounds heal up a little bit more each year...slowly but surely.

Beautiful tree! I have been dreaming about birch bonsai lately (even if some people might call it a nightmare).

Maruyama shipped this tree to me in Utah.

Here is a bit better photo. I would clean the leaves from the trunk line but I want to get it healthy first.

0504211833a.jpg

Another possible front, though I'd have to figure out the top...

0504211834.jpg

...and a closeup of the gnarly roots. They weren't all that careful with potting.

0504211835.jpg

Top Bottom