The Tree Thread

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Sabina juniper not quite satisfied with the vigor yet hopefully I will see some strong runners then I will clean it out and wire.

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_202254.jpg
    IMG_20210514_202254.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210514_202240.jpg
    IMG_20210514_202240.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210514_202306.jpg
    IMG_20210514_202306.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 30

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Repotted my Ficus Benjamina “Wiandi”. Addressed some major flaws in the surface roots. Ringed the bark at the base and planted in a deeper training container. The branching and trunk are thickening up nicely Though.

before and after the work.

View attachment 374661View attachment 374662
Not meaning to be overly picky but you have a problem of proportional relativity. The tree is beautiful but the truni is way to small for the volume of foliage. The best solution for your tree is to over pot the tree and let is grow wild to thicken the trunk. In a couple of years you drastically reduce the tree down to be in proportion with the trunk. Just trying to help. Sometimes when we work on a tree we rush head long into our own peril in developing a tree. We learn how to do this and we learn how to do that but we don't seem to be able to learn how to wait for a season or two. Letting a tree grow is as important a technique as the secret of developing deadwood or how to create an apex.

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not meaning to be overly picky but you have a problem of proportional relativity. The tree is beautiful but the truni is way to small for the volume of foliage. The best solution for your tree is to over pot the tree and let is grow wild to thicken the trunk. In a couple of years you drastically reduce the tree down to be in proportion with the trunk. Just trying to help.
YupThe tree is def over potted as is and the trunk needs girth. Once I get the surface roots in better shape I will leave it to grow for sometime to thicken. I had planned on leaving it in its current pot to grow for several years, but the water quality of my dads house where I was living had me repotting most everything to rid my trees of insane amounts of calcium build up. It potentially could also use a more drastic cut back.
Here is the thread to see how I’ve got to this point.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ficus-benjamina-“wiandi”.40702/

Oh and, you owe a tree pic Vance!
Here’s mine!
virginia creeper neagari. Only looks good a few times a year.
C3905D51-CC3E-48FD-AC6A-0D38D003A179.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My bird's nest spruce (picea abies var. nidiformis)
My kinka

View attachment 374905
Love the wildness of this tree Oso. How long have you had it in training? Entirely clip and grow or have you wired it? Just curious! Thanks!

Collected artemisia tridentata (sagebrush) collected this spring and gaining steam.
D1769B4C-7A33-48BB-A044-C4DAB7D2594C.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love the wildness of this tree Oso. How long have you had it in training? Entirely clip and grow or have you wired it? Just curious!
Thanks.

This was the standard ole flat top of foliage form when I dug it out from my mother-in-law's landscape in Aug/Sep 2015, IIRC. This pic shows the initial work with a full bare root repotting in Feb2016.

3756-8415de4e089705f105e6121e1e071732.jpg

I made fortunate choices of potting angle and branch selection. I wired the foliage-bearing branches to stagger and to separate the pads. As I recall it was 2018 when I created that sorta breaking-wave thing happening on the left side (at the time just trying to compact it) that makes this view the most interesting for me. Otherwise, it has been the standard clip-and-grow pad development/maintenance thing - basically idling while trying to decide on a pot, which I didn't accomplish until this spring.

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Love the wildness of this tree Oso. How long have you had it in training? Entirely clip and grow or have you wired it? Just curious! Thanks!

Collected artemisia tridentata (sagebrush) collected this spring and gaining steam.
View attachment 374913
That looks awesome, I love sagebrush. I may have to go collect on myself now and give this a try!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.

This was the standard ole flat top of foliage form when I dug it out from my mother-in-law's landscape in Aug/Sep 2015, IIRC. This pic shows the initial work with a full bare root repotting in Feb2016.

3756-8415de4e089705f105e6121e1e071732.jpg

I made fortunate choices of potting angle and branch selection. I wired the foliage-bearing branches to stagger and to separate the pads. As I recall it was 2018 when I created that sorta breaking-wave thing happening on the left side (at the time just trying to compact it) that makes this view the most interesting for me. Otherwise, it has been the standard clip-and-grow pad development/maintenance thing - basically idling while trying to decide on a pot, which I didn't accomplish until this spring.
Wow! Spruce bareroot for the win. Excellent aftercare obviously. I picked up a few nidiformis this spring at great prices and am happy to see one looking as yours does For inspiration.

That looks awesome, I love sagebrush. I may have to go collect on myself now and give this a try!
Thanks. There are acres and acres of these around my mother in laws house with most of them having a ton of character. Icollected 3 small ones that have all survived collection. I plan on getting at least one very large specimen next spring. Here is another.
1BA37FD2-C295-4B8C-98A6-FA621D7C78F3.jpeg

Also. If you read the original rules of this thread, every time you comment with a new post, your supposed to add a picture of a tree. Doesn’t have to be nice, doesn’t necessarily have to be yours. So you owe this thread a pic!

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Wow! Spruce bareroot for the win. Excellent aftercare obviously. I picked up a few nidiformis this spring at great prices and am happy to see one looking as yours does For inspiration.

Thanks. There are acres and acres of these around my mother in laws house with most of them having a ton of character. Icollected 3 small ones that have all survived collection. I plan on getting at least one very large specimen next spring. Here is another.
View attachment 374955

Also. If you read the original rules of this thread, every time you comment with a new post, your supposed to add a picture of a tree. Doesn’t have to be nice, doesn’t necessarily have to be yours. So you owe this thread a pic!
Ha! Yes, I read that and then totally forgot. Here is a new piñon pine pre-bonsai that I got in the mail this past week - looking forward to watching it grow!20210513_181652.jpg

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Small cornus sanguinea raft there is a horizontal trunk under the sphagnum moss that I will expose once the roots have developed further. Not tried this species before big leafs, internodes and arrow straight growth will the challenges with this one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_sanguinea

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_143757.jpg
    IMG_20210516_143757.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210516_143801.jpg
    IMG_20210516_143801.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 26

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree is special, not because it is a fantastic or expensive tree but it is one my dad bought me from a local garden centre. He insisted on getting it for me because of its name, Paul's Scarlet. We drove home with the 6ft pole of a tree hanging out the window. It is its first year in a pot from me chopping and regrowing the trunk over a decade or so. It's the second year flowering but sadly he's gone now so it has sentimental significance. IMG_20210517_155301.jpg

IMG_20210517_155426.jpg

Top Bottom