The Tree Thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Plucked some old needles and removed some wire that was biting in. This is nice and strong for a repot next year. I’d be curious to know if folks thought an unglazed bonsai container would be appropriate at this point, in part in order to control the strength of its growth, or if you would put it in a larger grow pot and refine it further. It was shaped this year and only partly decandled, rather early on in the season. It was also fertilized perhaps aggressively. Quite healthy though!

Always open to feedback!

10A44BE7-5A8C-4091-BD4C-DDD35DF40598.jpeg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
rootbound wild roadside collected privet initially thrown in random pot…would rather burn than to ever let flower (birds), pretty sure illegal or discouraged to sell commercial nursery trade in my region…this decimates native plants and the broad ecology of associated species en masse…
9E7CDE99-4CE4-4748-A144-27D972E41B3E.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Barberry are problematic because the have very skinny twigs that shear well for hedges, and they grow well if left to just continue to grow out into continuous long canes. But the tiny twigs they we value as ramification are in themselves short lived and need to be continuously replaced or the plants just drop dead. You can't just get them to a nice canopy and just keep trimming the leaders back to a couple leaves and expect them to grow from the base (axil) of the leaves left on the stem, maintaining a canopy. You would have to shear the whole thing back to bigger wood and re-grow a new canopy. Or, alternatively cut back every other leafing twig to the source, often. The trick is to do so before it looks in need of either.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Barberry are problematic because the have very skinny twigs that shear well for hedges, and they grow well if left to just continue to grow out into continuous long canes. But the tiny twigs they we value as ramification are in themselves short lived and need to be continuously replaced or the plants just drop dead. You can't just get them to a nice canopy and just keep trimming the leaders back to a couple leaves and expect them to grow from the base (axil) of the leaves left on the stem, maintaining a canopy. You would have to shear the whole thing back to bigger wood and re-grow a new canopy. Or, alternatively cut back every other leafing twig to the source, often. The trick is to do so before it looks in need of either.
@Forsoothe!, I added a tree for you here7D7E1552-63E0-464C-9F9A-5684E44B57FB.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How is this species for bonsai? I've been curious about them for sentimental reasons if nothing else. The street I grew up on was Barberry Drive.
Hey there! Not to be the tree thread police, but if you read the original post, your supposed to add a pic of your trees(in any stage), to any comments you post to this thread. FYI

@TN_Jim , forsoothe knows, he’s just being forsoothe. 🤷🏼‍♂️
61FD8C4C-B25E-4D3F-9C40-7289693EBD9E.jpeg

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So technically Benjofen owes two tree pics. Here's an evergreen Viburnum.

Attachments

• DSCN8823 (2).JPG
    DSCN8823 (2).JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom