The Tree Thread

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another field maple - this was mine at the Heathrow show yesterday. It's been a long project too, collected as a seedling 22 years ago, and significantly restyled a couple of times.
Are you going to the Doncaster thing in a couple of weeks? see you there if so.
Love this planting!

Li'l corkbark elm group with fresh new spring growth.

Attachments

• IMG_20220914_102024.jpg
    IMG_20220914_102024.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220914_101903.jpg
    IMG_20220914_101903.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

Operculicarya decaryi​

Elephant Tree, something a bit more exotic than some of the more typical bonsai species. I’ve seen a couple big specimens on Wigerts.

This one I’ve had about 3 years. Started as a stick-in-the-pot root cutting from Logee’s in Danielson, CT.

I’d like to get this in a bonsai pot but I’m not quite sure what to do with the thick, tubular roots. (I almost just stuck it in a cascade pot!

5CC6C0ED-9C43-4EBA-8029-E672F7437BFA.jpeg

Attachments

• 7AA48359-2581-42E4-B112-1CF49EBD2DF7.jpeg
    7AA48359-2581-42E4-B112-1CF49EBD2DF7.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 217A54B9-2E07-4FE5-A2BD-475C627EF1DE.jpeg
    217A54B9-2E07-4FE5-A2BD-475C627EF1DE.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 10

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Another field maple - this was mine at the Heathrow show yesterday. It's been a long project too, collected as a seedling 22 years ago, and significantly restyled a couple of times.
Are you going to the Doncaster thing in a couple of weeks? see you there if so.
Yes mate, I'm not far away so I'll be there. Hope to see you and say hi. 2018-02-10_07-15-11.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B

Operculicarya decaryi​

Elephant Tree, something a bit more exotic than some of the more typical bonsai species. I’ve seen a couple big specimens on Wigerts.

This one I’ve had about 3 years. Started as a stick-in-the-pot root cutting from Logee’s in Danielson, CT.

I’d like to get this in a bonsai pot but I’m not quite sure what to do with the thick, tubular roots. (I almost just stuck it in a cascade pot!

View attachment 455697
Very cool tree and species, the tubular roots I would say just work with them they are a feature of the species, they never would be a conventional bonsai anyways

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very cool tree and species, the tubular roots I would say just work with them they are a feature of the species, they never would be a conventional bonsai anyways
You made your way into the tree thread and it means each post is accompanied with a pic of one of your trees...

I took a few Pommegranate cuttings mid summer, the middle one is really going for it, it has roots for sure.
The mother tree remains in grow bed
20220917_180655.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotta be honest Arnold. You’ve been on here awhile but I’ve literally never seen a pic of any of your trees. Anxious to see what you e got.
73A1C1FB-DA28-4815-8D51-02790DE3EEE7.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

Operculicarya decaryi​

View attachment 455697

I would not repot Operculicarya until late winter or spring. Keep it dry for 2 weeks after repotting, then start watering. I have used wire to bend tuberous roots to spread out in a radial fashion. The tuberous roots will bend some, then crack, As long as they stay partially connected they will more or less heal. Broken roots can be potted up separately with just the top half inch above the media, these will work as root cuttings. Within a couple months the root pieces should start to grow.

I have rooted stem cuttings of Operculicarya too. Pretty much any size cutting will eventually root. Small diameter to large diameter.

Because they are succulent, if you are serious about getting your tree into a shallow pot, you can cut off the entire root system. Leave the cut, rootless trunk dry for 2 to 4 weeks to heal over the cuts. Then plant in a shallow pot, use wire to prop the tree upright. Begin watering, remember to dry out between watering (they are desert trees) and in time they will develop a new root system. Essentially a large diameter cutting.

Because Operculicarya are pachycauls, the trunk will always be "lumpy" and prone to zones of "inverse taper", and like the kid in the movie "I see dead people" some can not abide any tree with a hint of inverse taper. So some will never consider these trees, or Pachycauls in general as bonsai. But they do have their fans. And I do love a tree that if you choose, you can stick it in a sunny window in autumn, leave for 4 months, and after 4 months of no water have a tree that "comes back to life" just fine with no damage every spring. I do like drought tolerant trees.

My photo for the thread is my Nyohozan Satsuki Azalea

IMG_20220919_150315010.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I would not repot Operculicarya until late winter or spring. Keep it dry for 2 weeks after repotting, then start watering. I have used wire to bend tuberous roots to spread out in a radial fashion. The tuberous roots will bend some, then crack, As long as they stay partially connected they will more or less heal. Broken roots can be potted up separately with just the top half inch above the media, these will work as root cuttings. Within a couple months the root pieces should start to grow.

I have rooted stem cuttings of Operculicarya too. Pretty much any size cutting will eventually root. Small diameter to large diameter.

Because they are succulent, if you are serious about getting your tree into a shallow pot, you can cut off the entire root system. Leave the cut, rootless trunk dry for 2 to 4 weeks to heal over the cuts. Then plant in a shallow pot, use wire to prop the tree upright. Begin watering, remember to dry out between watering (they are desert trees) and in time they will develop a new root system. Essentially a large diameter cutting.

Because Operculicarya are pachycauls, the trunk will always be "lumpy" and prone to zones of "inverse taper", and like the kid in the movie "I see dead people" some can not abide any tree with a hint of inverse taper. So some will never consider these trees, or Pachycauls in general as bonsai. But they do have their fans. And I do love a tree that if you choose, you can stick it in a sunny window in autumn, leave for 4 months, and after 4 months of no water have a tree that "comes back to life" just fine with no damage every spring. I do like drought tolerant trees.
Leo, this is a fantastic and informative post. Thanks a lot.

Here is one of the Operculicarya from Wigert’s. Inverse taper, but it’s the natural form of the tree. I think it’s cool.

40604E67-BB0C-4B3D-8D5F-6460BDB06A84.jpeg
0829729C-8C22-414F-B4F0-57D2724B8523.jpeg

Top Bottom