The ugly elm challenge.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I picked up his chinese elm yesterday. Its long straight and does not have any taper. I had been eyeing it off for a while because it had a semi thick trunk and looked like it would be fun to experiment on.

20160629_112119.jpg 20160629_112101.jpg

The guy at the nursery suggested i make a large bonsai with it. I was thinking i would make a few air layers with it and build a tree from a stump or use the 1st branch as a leader.

Something like this?

Snapchat-4342230424645577843.jpg

I am keen to try anything with this. The crazier the better.

Thoughts?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't watch the video but I agree...

I'd cut it at the back of the pot rim in the last pic and make a broom.

You know....
One of them cookie cutter bitches.

Sorce

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
That doesn't look like any beginner lesson I've ever seen... Not sure it will make the tree's trunk any more attractive either. I'd skip that lesson.

I have tried it before with a japanese bux it wasnt too dificult. I was going to try it with on of the cuttings i think.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's winter at your place? I would totally airlayer it, you'll have more material to work with, or chop it if you are rich ;) I think it's better to airlayer with leaves on it i believe, also maybe it's not possible to airlayer it in that many pieces in 1 go.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
It's winter at your place? I would totally airlayer it, you'll have more material to work with, or chop it if you are rich ;) I think it's better to airlayer with leaves on it i believe, also maybe it's not possible to airlayer it in that many pieces in 1 go.

Agreed. Yes it is winter. I definately think air layering is the way to go im in no rush so an air layer makes sense over a chop. Good question about the multiple air layers at once. I would not have a clue.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agreed. Yes it is winter. I definately think air layering is the way to go im in no rush so an air layer makes sense over a chop. Good question about the multiple air layers at once. I would not have a clue.
I'm almost sure you can't layer it in multiple section (in 1 go), maybe it can be done if each section has some branching between them (and thus leaves), to generate the energy to make roots. I think you need a multitrunk, to do more layers at the same time or layer branches (but they are thin then).

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
jiu jitsu
My taekwondo master was also a black belt in Grace ju jitsu. I had problems with the little guy in sparring sessions.
Until I realized that in order for him to grab me he had to get close enough to where I could get a hold of him. He was 5'6" and 165 pounds. I'm quite a bit bigger and once I figured it out he was history.
He wore a regular catchers mask to spar me. I wore no sparring gear. None big enough to fit me.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
My taekwondo master was also a black belt in Grace ju jitsu. I had problems with the little guy in sparring sessions.
Until I realized that in order for him to
grab me he had to get close enough to where I could get a hold of him. He was 5'6" and 165 pounds. I'm quite a bit bigger and once I figured it out he was history.
He wore a regular catchers mask to spar me. I wore no sparring gear. None big enough to fit me.

Wearing a catchers mask is a lil odd to say the least haha. I do not like wearing any head gear if i am sparring striking. I only train brazilian jiu jitsu these days.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I only watch his movies for entertainment purposes, he has some sketchy techniques. I wouldn't try them out. I recommend Nigel Saunders his channel on youtube (or check my youtube bonsai resource).

Haha yeah i do find his vids oddly entertaining. Cheers i will check his stuff out.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wearing a catchers mask is a lil odd to say the least haha. I do not like wearing any head gear if i am sparring striking. I only train brazilian jiu jitsu these days.
He wanted to keep his good looks I suppose.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im thinking i could try this maybe?

Wow that video.. I've never seen anything like that before. I mean, if it works for him, cool.. It could look really cool if it results in what it looks like he is going for but damn.. That's some real hack and slash stuff right there.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
Wow that video.. I've never seen anything like that before. I mean, if it works for him, cool.. It could look really cool if it results in what it looks like he is going for but damn.. That's some real hack and slash stuff right there.

For sure not very gentle.

I think this could be used to create some cool features to the base of a trunk if you combine it with carving/hollowing out the trunk after it has healed from the splitting.

Top Bottom