the use of tea bags

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I stopped using organic fertilizer cakes some years ago. Stopping them profoundly reduced mice-mole-vole damage to my winter stored trees.

Even removing fert cakes at storage-time didn't end it. Switching over to Osmocoat did.

I don't think I'll ever go back to fertilizer cakes.

Hello coppice.. Actually, you do not fertilize tress that are in winter storage. There must have been other reasons, besides the fertilizer, for the mice. I have known others with this rodent problem as well and they do not fertilize in winter.

Rob

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not be practical as in too expensive ? How many trees do you have ?

It is a matter of time and cost for me. If I used a water soluble mix then I would probably use an injector/syphon, as Poink does. It's really just a matter of personal preference as long as the trees are happy and healthy. I usually do the organic feed and then give them a little chemical fert. to give them a boost or provide micronutrients.

I'm afraid I don't have a head count. My trees range from propagated/developing stock, collected material in nursery containers, trees in training pots and a few in nice pots. I like to think most of it is decent material. Several of the Georgia Bonsainutters have seen my trees at workshops. We just recently moved. It took 3 days, 3 guys, a Ford F-150 and a 12 ft. trailer to move trees. I would post a picture but I'm afraid the production crew from "Hoarders" would show up.

Best always,
Kirk

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I use teabags in the fall when i mix a no nitrogen feed. Haven't had any problems with mice or critters "knock on wood" I live in Brooklyn NY so if that was the cause i'm sure they would have found my plants. A few trees still have lingering teabags on them from the fall which I should probably remove. The only problem i've come across is eventually they degrade and all the fertilizer seeps out. The key is removing them before this happens.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I skipped all fertilizer for the entire year on all of our plants except 1 Huge ash tree and honest the Wife never noticed as all went as usual :p Either way we do not fertilize during the Winter anyways.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I also use osmocote in tea bags. The tea bag just makes it easier to remove for show or when 3 months is up.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I skipped all fertilizer for the entire year on all of our plants except 1 Huge ash tree and honest the Wife never noticed as all went as usual :p Either way we do not fertilize during the Winter anyways.

Most trees would be fine without fert for a year. Do that for several years and then let us know how your trees are doing.

davenota

Seed
Reaction score
I used to have Herbal tea and Pure Peppermint tea and didn't used the Marshmallow yet. I used to purchase the tea bags for my purpose, There are many companies providing the best tea bags with special gifts also for affordable prices. One more advantage with these are that they would provide some special message with the tea bag.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used to have Herbal tea and Pure Peppermint tea and didn't used the Marshmallow yet. I used to purchase the tea bags for my purpose, There are many companies providing the best tea bags with special gifts also for affordable prices. One more advantage with these are that they would provide some special message with the tea bag.

Okie dokie... :rolleyes:

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Hello coppice.. Actually, you do not fertilize tress that are in winter storage. There must have been other reasons, besides the fertilizer, for the mice. I have known others with this rodent problem as well and they do not fertilize in winter.

Rob

I used to remove them in the fall. Once I stopped altogether using cake, I stopped getting my tree soil being torn up.

I suppose an argument could be made that worms were the irresistable thing that got mice, voles, chipmunks in my cold house and into pots.

I spent years hav-a-hearting them four legged vermin. And it'll be a cold day in h**l before bait my trees to draw them near my trees again.

I don't eat my bonsai, or their fruit, they'll just have to get by with chemical fertilizers.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used to remove them in the fall. Once I stopped altogether using cake, I stopped getting my tree soil being torn up.

I suppose an argument could be made that worms were the irresistable thing that got mice, voles, chipmunks in my cold house and into pots.

I spent years hav-a-hearting them four legged vermin. And it'll be a cold day in h**l before bait my trees to draw them near my trees again.

I don't eat my bonsai, or their fruit, they'll just have to get by with chemical fertilizers.

For no "special" reason our area has a significant vole population. The Nursury 1/2 mile away lost a few thousand trees and plants to them 2 years ago over the winter. They disappeared on my property when I started putting moth balls in canning jars and drilled fine holes in the covers. I lay them on their sides and keep the drilled holes all 2 inches or so above the soil. It is important not to let them contact the soil EVER. Interesting thing is the field mice have stopped showing up as freqently... The Squirrels and Rabbits do not seem to care but they have not been a pain.

Top Bottom