The value of rooting powder on a tree?

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if rooting powder can be used on a tree to improve the amount of roots or placement of roots and the value of this. On another note I have an Eastern White Pine, and not a good one at all, it has lost the branches on two sides and the entire top. I now realize that the roots on the same two sides are dead and are stumps causing a stability problem. I was going to try and air layer the branches one by one to salvage something. In that all the Jin I see is on conifers and up one side of the tree, does this mean that this root on the left feeds that branch on the left and a tree such as this has two dead sides meaning both roots and branches.

Thanks

Chris

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Eastern white pine isn't the best of material to start with, let alone a bad one. Your tree sounds like it may be beyond rooting hormone. Your question about the side of the gin (I think you're referring to chari) relating to the root is not necessarily true. Rooting hormone can increase the chances of a root developing in an area.....maybe. It depends on many factors. Sorry to be vague about this but its a complex subject.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if rooting powder can be used on a tree to improve the amount of roots or placement of roots and the value of this. On another note I have an Eastern White Pine, and not a good one at all, it has lost the branches on two sides and the entire top. I now realize that the roots on the same two sides are dead and are stumps causing a stability problem. I was going to try and air layer the branches one by one to salvage something. In that all the Jin I see is on conifers and up one side of the tree, does this mean that this root on the left feeds that branch on the left and a tree such as this has two dead sides meaning both roots and branches.

Thanks

Chris
In short answer to your first question- yes. People do it all the time.

It isn't 100%, but if you scar the wood in the area where you need new roots! put some rooting hormone on it and cover the area with sand or with sphagnum moss! you might get new roots. If not, you can graft them on there too.

As for the rest of your post... Well, it isn't exactly like that. The roots tend to feed a specific live vein on the tree. If your trunk is arrow straight with no twisting, maybe it works kind of like that, but most trunks with some movement the live vein twists around a bit and it is a lot harder to follow... Shari deff is not always along one side of the trunk though...

Eastern White pine is not noted to be the best Bonsai subject... But especially when faced with problems like you described, I don't see a lot of potential for that tree... Air layers are notoriously hard with most pine species and I doubt they are any easier with an Eastern white Pine...

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks Eric,

In this case it is straight as an arrow, I was thinking of trying to keep it alive long enough to air layer the branches, I have three and one is really not bad, needs work but still Okay. The attraction is I am in Canada and it's a collected tree, I can kill it BUT winter won't!

Chris

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The CORRECT answer is NO. Rooting hormone makes roots form from stem cells, It actually has been shown to inhibit root formation on root cells.

It matters not that "everyone does it." Everyone is wrong.

Top Bottom