The Van Meer Technique

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I dont believe he is the first to do this, so why is it called the van meer technique?
According to the article, it seems like others began calling it that before Hans himself even knew....unless I'm reading that wrong....
That's the only reference to this technique I've seen....I think....now you make me want to go paging through my bonsai books....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am very interested in seeing actual, photographic results of this technique. I’ve only seen illustrations of how it should be done, but never the actual result of successful application.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am very interested in seeing actual, photographic results of this technique. I’ve only seen illustrations of how it should be done, but never the actual result of successful application.
Same!
That was my original question here....
Has anyone ever successfully pulled this off?
Apparently Hans has but like you said, other than that one, less than amazing picture in the article, I've never seen it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to give it a go but I think the thing( Ebihara I think) does with just cutting part way through a branch,letting it heal the cut then cut it the rest of the way off would work better for healing over cut scars faster.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't remember where --------- but the Puerto Ricans have images
on one of their bonsai sites of what they did.
If I can make some time I will look for it for the group.
Good Day
Anthony

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a good thought there!
I've been thinking this over, and I think it is probably immaterial whether the flap is on the top or bottom of the branch from a standpoint of sap flow. It may have more to do with the flexibility of the bark and cambium, where the tighter bend around the crotch of the branch is more difficult to lay flat than the underside of the branch. What makes me think this technique could work comes from an experience I had pruning a plum tree, where I cut half way through a branch before I realized it was a mistake. I just removed the pruning shear and left the cut branch as-is. In a month or less the cut had completely healed up. The only difference with Van Meer is that he removes some wood underneath the cut. I think @berobinson82 is right in saying that the success of the technique lies in the precision of the cuts (and also in keeping the cut edges held tightly together, which is what allowed my plum tree to heal so completely)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
, where I cut half way through a branch before I realized it was a mistake. I just removed the pruning shear and left the cut branch as-is. In a month or less the cut had completely healed up.
I'd like to give it a go but I think the thing( Ebihara I think) does with just cutting part way through a branch,letting it heal the cut then cut it the rest of the way off would work better for healing over cut scars faster.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Except in my case, the branch completely sealed up the original wound and I didn't remove the branch. It looks almost exactly as if I had never cut through it to begin with, except for a light scar.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm convinced the consumption of good IPAs like this have dropped my cholesterol by 30 points in the last 9 months!
Interesting...
I've recently been getting back into them...
I took a several year break from craft beers all together....
Got on the whiskey train for a while...
Still like whiskey and whisky....but I'm really digging some of these new IPA's.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting...
Still like whiskey and whisky....but I'm really digging some of these new IPA's.
The only thing whiskey ever dropped for me was my inhibitions:D.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting...

As I'm told, "Whiskey is for weekends, Beers are in between".

This won't be the case after one retires.

Cheers
B

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As I'm told, "Whiskey is for weekends, Beers are in between".

This won't be the case after one retires.

Cheers
B
There was a time 3 or 4 winters ago where there was a carafe filled with Manhattans sitting on the kitchen counter...always full and inviting and wayyyyyy to easy to partake of after a long day's work. After 6 weeks or so, it became pretty obvious this was a BAD idea for myself and my wife. As you say, wait until retirement;).

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I could drink a whisky on the rocks every night, but my bank account couldn't handle it, and I'm sure it wouldn't be healthy.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Except in my case, the branch completely sealed up the original wound and I didn't remove the branch. It looks almost exactly as if I had never cut through it to begin with, except for a light scar.
Here's what I'm talking about. The pruning shears went half way through the base of that branch on the left. The top of the cut healed right up, the bottom of the branch that was bruised by the bottom blade of the bypass pruners continues to bleed sap, but the branch survived. All of this is just talk though. I'm going to try out this method next year when I repot my zelkova. I've got some heavy roots that need some taper.
20171026_173051.jpg

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Same here. I never seen any follow up post. No after pictures. Never seen anybody copying it and posting anywhere.

I think that Technique seems so obvious that if it works somebody would have used it and screaming loud about success and posting like crazy.

Top Bottom