The "What The Heck Should I Do With It" Thread

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This works kind of like the Tree Thread, Yamadori Thread and others. However, you don't need to post a tree every time you respond. If you have a tree that you just can't seem to do anything with post it here to get some ideas or help with it. First up, my Seesaw Juniper. There are two branches 180 degrees apart that seem to dominate what can or can't be done it. I've had it three or four years and have already taken a foot or so off each side. Looking at again today, I remembered I was supposed to take that sucker off last year but never got around to it. I think I'm just going to bring it to the club auction this year unless someone has a better idea.

See-Saw 1.jpg

See-Saw 2.jpg

See-Saw 4.jpg

See-Saw 6.jpg

See-Saw 7.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it is bendable, something along this line could be a possibility

714596146_4xfhx-S.jpg

Some guy won the Joshua Roth competition with this a few years ago. The guy is pretty good IMHO.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I got this grewia last summer. It bloomed, then I stuck it in a pot. I had several different opinions on what to do with it then. Either repot this spring into a larger pot, and let it grow, or cut at the scar shown in the 2nd picture. I'm not opposed to putting it into a training pot, but am somewhat limited to space when it will need to be moved indoors. It's quite unruly at the moment. I would appreciate suggestions.grewia.jpg grewia2.jpg

Reactions: Vin
Reaction score
I got this grewia last summer.

Sort out any issues the nebari may have in a bigger pot, maybe a little bit more organic material in the mix, then go shohin - I dug some in December of another species, trunks as thick as your arm, I am planning on doing an G. occidentalis shohin soon though

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My rhaphiolepis sp.
It's very pliable and should take to wiring well plus plenty to work with so I don't think a hard chop is really needed. Kind of looks like it wants to cascade a little to the right but other than that I'm all ears.
Roots may be an issue though, they seem mostly clumped together in just one section of the pot.

IMG_2197d.JPG

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My rhaphiolepis sp.
It's very pliable and should take to wiring well plus plenty to work with so I don't think a hard chop is really needed. Kind of looks like it wants to cascade a little to the right but other than that I'm all ears.
Roots may be an issue though, they seem mostly clumped together in just one section of the pot.

View attachment 139475
That looks like a pretty nice trunk in there. Can you get a better picture of it?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I have a couple for you. This first one is a juneberry I picked up from a nursery last spring. I had no idea what I was doing so who knows what kind of a mess the roots are under the soil. At this point I don't know if I should bury it deeper or leave the somewhat interesting roots exposed. Its also not back budded at all since I cut it last spring, I'm hoping I will get some soon. Planning to just let it grow this season.

Attachments

• 6s86k0.jpg
    6s86k0.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2h2grcn.jpg
    2h2grcn.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 87

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
This is a unknown. Some on here said it looks like a dogwood of some kind, hoping I can get a better ID once it leafs out. It was supposed to be a filbert that was going in the yard but since thats not what it was, I tossed it in a pot. It has no nebari to speak of but I did a repot this morning and it has a ton of new roots coming off the base, almost looks like roots that come off a air layer so I'm hoping they will develop nicely in the future.
Not sure if I should try a broom or wire some movement in it? The twigs seem pretty stiff for their size and when cut, die back to the nearest node. The red mark is where I cut back after I took the pics, its the only cutting I will do this season. The hydro balls are to help keep the napa 8822 from washing out.

Attachments

• 20tgvue.jpg
    20tgvue.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 2wn1hqc.jpg
    2wn1hqc.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 71

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure if these help but are a bit clearer of the trunk.
I'm not trying to be Mr. Teacher but I just opened a Fortune Cookie and it said "You don't get in life what you want; you get in life what you are". If you take that approach to this tree maybe it while develop its own direction. So, we know this eye poker branch has to go:

IMG_2204[1].JPG

We also know this wad of growth has to be reduced or removed.

IMG_2206[1].JPG

When the time is right, I would start there and re-evaluate the tree. Keep on correcting what's wrong and hopefully a tree will present itself.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I appreciate the input Vin and am always happy for it.
Eye poker is a very apt term, that has nearly caught me out already. Yeah him and his mate just below can go, that branch has a few bits of dead wood so no loss. I think it all sounds like a good approach, identify the stuff that needs done with or cleaned out slowly and reassess it all.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great thread and i can join in with some stuff bit first this juniperus

Its a juniperus squamata meyeri i think
Bought this tree in neglected state for 10 euro a year ago all i did was repot and i jinned the one big branch (it only had 2 tufts of foliage) and expanded the existing shari to the jin 6 months ago, While doing that i didnt look good enough and killed a live vein but the one on the back took over luckily it still looks healthy.

The branches are kinda leggy..
I did get some advice on how to take care of the tree
but i dont realy see what style i could go for yet

20170317_180711.jpg 20170317_180521.jpg

Reaction score

I would chop chop chop chippety chop
I would chop chop chop chippety chop
Chippety chop chop chop chop
Chippety chop chop chop CHOP!

Like, those branches sprouting from the trunk, shorten those and maybe build a shohin with it. And sort the roots out. Gonna be a nice one!

Reaction score
Great thread and i can join in with some stuff bit first this juniperus

Its a juniperus squamata meyeri i think
Bought this tree in neglected state for 10 euro a year ago all i did was repot and i jinned the one big branch (it only had 2 tufts of foliage) and expanded the existing shari to the jin 6 months ago, While doing that i didnt look good enough and killed a live vein but the one on the back took over luckily it still looks healthy.

The branches are kinda leggy..
I did get some advice on how to take care of the tree
but i dont realy see what style i could go for yet

View attachment 139531 View attachment 139532

Ey Dennis, bring it with you when you come down here, okay? I think it is very hard to make proper styling stuff from the pics you posted. No doubt 3d will do much better!

Top Bottom