The wife says "NO"!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't convince my wife to let me take it out of the ground. Maybe when/if we move she'll agree with me.. Just joking, it's staying where it's at. Anyway, I'm in the Florida panhandle (zone 8B/9A) and I've read various times for pruning JM. When is the best time? I have a JM ready for a bonsai pot; like right now so I don't want to stress it out with too much work. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF1021.jpg
    DSCF1021.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 148

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That tree doesn't really have taper, and it's got 0 lower branches, so I wouldn't be interested in digging it up. It looks like a great landscape tree.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Air layer a branch off. Everybody wins.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree looks terrific in its current state. As previous post state, not an ideal candidate due to missing characteristics such as lower branching. This appears to be a Lace leaf cultivar and I'm not sure how well they respond to trunk chopping.

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once trees are actively growing and in full leaf that is not the right time to collect. Also Japanese maples while actively growing tend to bleed a lot of sap in trunk chopped. Again not good. I also agree with what others have said referring to the bonsai potential for this individual tree. I'd look for something with more character and suited to bonsai training.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess I threw everyone off by posting a photo of my landscaping JM. It's staying in place. I have a JM in a growing pot ready for a bonsai pot. After putting it in the bonsai pot is it okay to prune for shape at the same time? Sorry for the confusion.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I can't convince my wife to let me take it out of the ground. Maybe when/if we move she'll agree with me.. Just joking, it's staying where it's at.

I guess I threw everyone off by posting a photo of my landscaping JM. It's staying in place. I have a JM in a growing pot ready for a bonsai pot. After putting it in the bonsai pot is it okay to prune for shape at the same time? Sorry for the confusion.

Totally missed this :rolleyes:

red

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, I'm gonna miss her!
When I get done
But right now I'm in this backyard
And I'm sittin' in the sun
I'm sure it'll hit me
When I walk through that door tonight
Yeah, I'm gonna miss her
Oh, look there, another bud

Yes, this is a parody of one of my favorite Brad Paisley songs.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vin you tell her who the boss is ! She will agree with you and then beg the boss while presenting a gift, usually works for me ...

ed

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vin you tell her who the boss is ! She will agree with you and then beg the boss while presenting a gift, usually works for me ...

ed

Hey, I bought her a new laptop for Christmas. That's my "get out jail free" card for sure.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, I bought her a new laptop for Christmas. That's my "get out jail free" card for sure.

Yea, she can use it to write your alimony payment each month.

Top Bottom