The winter that never ends

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just when I was thinking that we've had a mild winter here, real winter shows up and drops a foot of snow. Brrrrr. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh..so sorry the east is so hammered..we didn't get snow to speak of this year. Don't think I could handle that as long as you folks have to endure. We could have used some snowpack tho, the drought may still be happening out here..

Mowing, sunny nearly 70. Lilacs leafing, plums buds starting to open..willows pushing green tips..

Had some conifers to collect but they aren't sleeping in this year.
Rose
Sw oregon

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
About 4 weeks ago I got 2+ feet. Since then we've had a few more storms dumping even more. Very little had melted but it all just re-freezes. 3 degrees yesterday morning. i don't ski, I don't snowboard, I like rear wheel drive cars, the taxes are insane, why am I here? Wife and I have this conversation every winter.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can't complain too much. We didn't get snow here in CT until the middle of January. I grew up on the southern edge of the Adirondacks. I remember winters when our first snow was mid October and it wouldn't stop until mid May. You could find snow in the woods until June. I can handle 2 or 3 months of winter.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
About 4 weeks ago I got 2+ feet. Since then we've had a few more storms dumping even more. Very little had melted but it all just re-freezes. 3 degrees yesterday morning. i don't ski, I don't snowboard, I like rear wheel drive cars, the taxes are insane, why am I here? Wife and I have this conversation every winter.

Come on down to Florida. Taxes are great, we don't have snow. Have to change what you are growing possibly...

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Constantly have this thought. I like having the seasons but after shoveling another foot of snow onto 7 ft tall snowbanks on the side of the driveway I definitely thought we were crazy for living in this area.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Currently 30 F and flurrying down here just north of Hotlanta. Ice storm 2 days ago, won't see above freezing temps until the weekend, record setting lows with wind chills below 0 F next few days...stupid groundhogo_O. My neighbors must think I'm nuts raking the woods for leaves and dumping them on top of my trees...at 7 AM on a Wednesday morning.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know, it's been a long harsh winter...in fact, last winter was hailed as a "generational winter" but this year has been even colder. I'm really getting tired of it, but as long as it's still February...I can deal (sort of, it's supposed to be cold in February). If this kind of cold/snow persists into March I'll start complaining.

Spent an hour or so this morning shoveling about a ton of snow off our roof. We have an old house that's been added to over the years, so there are places on the roof where snow really tends to accumulate (depends on wind direction). We learned the hard way the first year that if it piles up too much, it starts melting from below and water will find it's way in under the flashing at one of the junction points. I think I cleared away enough of the snow and resulting glacier but may have to make another pass once I recover.

Chris

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep I am sick and tired of being cold. Before we got the storm that dropped 2+ feet, Id been wondering where winter was. Now I just want to to go away....damn polar vortex.....GO HOME.

I even had a freak snowstorm in the garage......:p
All my trees have 2-3 inches of snow on their pots.

P.S.....I put the snow on them

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brrrrr....mingham is cold this week. Some shivering shimpakus and puckering pines...
And a few ice columns pushing up from the growing bed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 26

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was -5 this morning.

I went hiking last weekend in the white mountains. We stayed the night at the Carter Notch hut. Night time temps were around -15 and the bunk house is not heated. It was fun but about as extreme as I want to see.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After yesterday's bitter temperatures (-13 F last night, coldest I've seen in 12 years here) Rochester is now averaging 13 degrees below normal for the month. Second coldest February on record at this point, and another arctic blast is coming next week.

Top Bottom