The "wishtree"..

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you had the chance to wish which trees would grow or could be collected in your area,which kind of trees would it be-if any?

I'll start with my wishlist:

I wished I could grow Scots Pine,Mountain Hemlock,Ponderosa Pine,Spruce,Rocky Mountain Juniper,Japanese Maple,White Pine (ahhhh),California juniper,Mugo Pine just to name a few..:(

-dorothy

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dollarii euroensis, otherwise known as a "Money Tree"!

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would really like to work on a Larch or two. My brother-in-law's father has about 100 acres in the Adirondacks where I'd think I could find some, but I don't think they'd survive in our mild winters and hotter summers in Richmond.

Christian

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I grow Casuarina equisetifolia in my greenhouse. However I would love to beable to break those confines and grow them more freely and in quanity :D Also bristle cone wouldn't be bad.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Only one for me - gnarly old ume with the textured bark and deadwood seen in the Kokufu exhibition. A very seasonal display but OMG it would be worth waiting for.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wishwish..

LARCH,I forgot LARCH!!:)

Bob and Will,

Dollar- or moneytree,you guys know that fertilizer for that variety is unavailable,don't you..:p

-dorothy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darn, Bob beat me to it, I guess I should read first, post later. :eek:

Okay, I'll go with about a dozen Walterus Pallus trees. ;)

Seriously, this is a tough one, maybe naturalized Japanese Maples....

I would love having tropicals to collect, but I just couldn't trade the larches for them.....we are lucky in that we have some great pines as well as such trees as maples, elms, hawthorns, etc (not to mention urban yews, junipers, mugos, barberry, etc) and we can grow tropicals indoors, whereas if I lived in a tropical area I couldn't grow the others...

AcK, Demons hex me! The ground hog saw its shadow, the moon eclisped last night, its 18 degrees outside now...where was i? Oh yeah, Ack!

Will

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Here in Vegas I will be thankful if anything grows! ;) Specifically, I would love to do Maples. I may just plan my next move to a place where they do well. :D

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in Vegas I will be thankful if anything grows! ;) Specifically, I would love to do Maples. I may just plan my next move to a place where they do well. :D

I go to Vegas a lot, my in-laws live there. My favorite hiking place is the Spring Mountain area (Mt. Charleston), where there are 6 different climate zones: from desert to alpine. It's like traveling from the South-West to Canada, all in a matter of 15 minutes.

So, if you move only 15 - 20 minutes away from where you live now, you can pick any climate zone from 5 to 10 depending on where you pick your home. And you can grow any plant you want. Just think about it.

Here it is..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Mountains

Last edited:

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Maples , larches and white pine. Maybe I should wish for theis climate warming thing to reverse and cool us off about 5 degrees.

Top Bottom