The Worlds Ugliest Black Pine, Unfortunately It Is Mine

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have had this pine for many years and really have not done a whole lot to it. One reason, no one around with much knowledge; and I guess another is I really don't like them much. Not that I don't admire a really nice example, just not excited about owning one. I was gonna donate it to the club auction, but for some reason, Mrs. Mullet likes it, really likes it. Why could it not be an azalea, serissa, or maple that she likes?

Anyway, I did a repot on it today, it has been probably eight years since it was repotted, the soil did not take water very well, so it was overdue.

This is what it looked like before today's session

DSC02146-1.jpg

And after a little trim, I may have gotten carried away

DSC03076-1.jpg

DSC03077-1.jpg

DSC03078-1.jpg

DSC03079-1.jpg

DSC03080-1.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
A look under the hood, seems to have a good colony of the symbiotic fungi. I cleaned up the roots and took a few off, probably too many, the last time it made it though.

DSC03081-1.jpg

DSC03082-1.jpg

DSC03083-1.jpg

Back in the pot.

DSC03084-1.jpg

I really have no hopes that it will ever be anything other than hideous. It has the worst case of reverse taper I have ever seen and I don' know what is going on with the middle of the trunk, you would think that it would have thicken some with the rest of it. Anyway, just thought I would share my misery.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe I spend too much time wandering in the woods and mountains, but I see a nice wild looking tree. Like you said, it is no "show tree", but I can definitely enjoy it. I probably do spend too much time looking at trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If...

If!

You didn't kill it!

I bloody like it..

It not trying to be a tree without reverse taper.

Embrace it.

No Bullshit...

It's friggin interesting.

I like it.

Sorce

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would definitely very careful on the water. Very little foliage means very little transpiration. I killed a few decent pine from overwatering after cut back.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a good material. The kind which many folks look for! Not easy to find. If it survives, (good luck with that by the way), I would go this kind of direction with it. Celebrate the reverse taper - don't hide it.
If it kick's on this growing season, you can start to graft on lots of new buds to increase the vigour and speed the process. Doesn't matter if some fail or some are in the wrong place. Just keep at it. You have to wait and see if it lives though. It might take a couple of years to regain strength. Worth the wait. Plan for it!

Attachments

• wp.JPG
    wp.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 79

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like Mrs.Mullet already! Embrace it...it's a cool tree! Love the bark and the shape...can you remove that much foliage needles? I know many defoliate them...thinning them. Would admire something like that on my own bench. Maybe if you hear it enough...it will grow on you. For hands down...I love it!

Random User

Reaction score
Even though I'm not a conifer guy, I like it... it kinda reminds me of a Labrador dog that my buddy owns... he's WAY too fat, has one eye, and no tail, but he's the happiest SOB that I've ever met.

I'd sooner have fugly and hardy, than pretty and temperamental...

Just remember what the alternative might be... Mrs. Mullet, "might otherwise" be laying claim to your most prized tree!

Top Bottom