The Yamadori Thread

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One more yamadori. This alligator juniper really shows how alligators change the color of the foliage when they are pampered. Additionally you guys can see the progression in 1 year since collection. I hope to see more alligator junipers being used in Bonsai. They are amazing trees

Alligator Juniper 2
http://www.chobonsaiyamadori.com/#/juniper

Cool, I see you collect a variety of juni's.
Is it easy enough to identify/differentiate the different species you come across?

3yr progress of a dougy below. image.jpgimage.jpg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Scot pine on the right is a railroad find three years ago(the cedar next to it is gonna turn out nice too)...

IMG_3335.JPG

I always thought this side would be the front...

IMG_3848.JPG

But after looking close at branches and where they might go, I chose the other side...

IMG_3853.JPG

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple new arrivals this morning from @arcina a big ponderosa, and a gnarly gray oak. The gray oak already got itself a new pot.View attachment 131363
The green tape is because there was a small Crack and I just wanted to be safe and protect it from drying. It has some gorgeous deadwood and movement.View attachment 131364my favorite part of the tree.View attachment 131365
Can't wait to play with it this fall.
Here's the oak in it new pot.View attachment 131366
I'm lovin the trees he collects! Both of these will get their own threads soon.

Aaron

Wonderful;)! Studied this Ponderosa many times and most curious if you have clear(or near)plan for stylingo_O?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you tell me about that pot? Looks like an interesting one, great fit with your tree!

It's a Tony Remington pot. He is an English potter with a website and pots for sale. He ships across the pond. I love pots with texture and his are good quality at a good price.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's another Tony Remington pot. Love his pots!

Colorado Spruce
Picea Pungens
Collected in Colorado, likely by either Harold Sasaki, Jerry Morris or Todd Schlafer. I acquired the tree in 2012 at a workshop with Harold Sasaki.

Random User

Reaction score
Limber Pine
Pinus Flexilis
Collected by me, 2012 in the Rocky Mountains
Styled in 2016 by Tyler Sherrod and Matt Reel

At the risk of offending you Dan W., have you ever done up a virt taking the long deadwood going up to the left either out, or making it quite short?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the risk of offending you Dan W., have you ever done up a virt taking the long deadwood going up to the left either out, or making it quite short?

No worries about offense. I personally wouldn't remove it. It may possibly improve the design, but I'm not so sure. It's an incredibly old piece of dead tree that tells a story, and you could never get it back.

I wouldn't mind seeing a virt anyway though. :)

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Here's another Tony Remington pot. Love his pots!

Colorado Spruce
Picea Pungens
Collected in Colorado, likely by either Harold Sasaki, Jerry Morris or Todd Schlafer. I acquired the tree in 2012 at a workshop with Harold Sasaki.

i would put the tree on the rights side of the accent.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
After this years cleanup...
I really like this tree Fourteener! One of my favorites of yours. Do you mind sharing a little more info on it such as.... what was the collecting like? About how big is the tree? Did you collect it straight into the cascade pot?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like this tree Fourteener! One of my favorites of yours. Do you mind sharing a little more info on it such as.... what was the collecting like? About how big is the tree? Did you collect it straight into the cascade pot?

What you see as a vertical root going down into the pot, was a horizontal root growing in a crack. The front of the tree now, was the top of the tree in the wild. Cedar roots are exceptionally aggressive. The long horizontal root was exposed and didn't have much for feeder roots. It was planted in this pot upon collection, but it was about 3-4 inches out of the pot than it is now. I'd like to be able to pull in down another inch or two so the trunk/branch seems to bend right over the lip of the pot.

The pot is probably 12 inches and the tree is a little bigger than a basketball.

Top Bottom