The Yamadori Thread

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Age, Character, Movement, size, interior growth rejuvenating. Nice combination. My second thought is it is a good thing the collector is younger than myself.:)
Well done.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Posted elsewhere on the initial collection, but here's an American Hornbeam that's about 2 months in or so. It was a bit slower to leaf out than most of our native ones, but it's fully leafed out now and there are a number of backbuds that have popped. I know I should have trunk chopped lower on collection but I wanted to keep some of the few branches it had to ensure a strong recovery after collection. In the future the plan will be a much lower cut, but so far so good.
IMG_20180522_113836930.jpg

Reaction score
A couple Ponderosas I collected last month. Easily the quickest and most complete root balls I've collected from the mountains thus far. They were both in an area that had been recently cut down for lumber and basically fell into my bags. Glamour shots in the future if they survive. Small one is pretty out of focus.

IMG_1209.jpgIMG_1208.jpg

Dladzinski99

Seedling
Reaction score
Posted elsewhere on the initial collection, but here's an American Hornbeam that's about 2 months in or so. It was a bit slower to leaf out than most of our native ones, but it's fully leafed out now and there are a number of backbuds that have popped. I know I should have trunk chopped lower on collection but I wanted to keep some of the few branches it had to ensure a strong recovery after collection. In the future the plan will be a much lower cut, but so far so good.
View attachment 193596
Any advice on collected American Hornbeams? I’ve read they are slow to root. I’m currently experimenting and I have an air layer on a substantial tree. I’m hoping it work but the research I’ve done makes me think it’s not going to work to well.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any advice on collected American Hornbeams? I’ve read they are slow to root. I’m currently experimenting and I have an air layer on a substantial tree. I’m hoping it work but the research I’ve done makes me think it’s not going to work to well.
I'm pretty new to all of this but I can share some of the resources I used. Check out Tony Tickle for Yamadori/collecting. There are some basics with deciduous that apply also. I collected this tree late winter/early spring. The new buds had swelled a little but were not close to unfolding yet. Collecting deciduous that time of year means that the tree should have good stored energy for recovery. Normally most people will cut them back harder than I did. I left a larger root mass in part because I really wanted to ensure having finer roots and a head start on recovery.

I can't speak much to airlayering (I just started my first on a crab apple a few weeks ago). My initial research it seemed hornbeam would not air layer, but there's certainly a chance. I did find a video from Jason Schley about air layering a hornbeam. Others on this forum might know from experience.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Here are a few from this weekend’s hunt...
First up is a mountain hemlock.
Second we have a lodgepole pine.
And then a subalpine fir.
I feel like I nailed this parenting thing watching the kids play in their back yard water park while I got some headway made on potting these up.
Not great pics of the trees but I will document them more thoroughly once I see some growth.3942F50C-CB39-4DAF-886E-1E1E351F746D.jpeg382A3BDF-7020-4904-A6E0-4B8BBCD1D8F8.jpeg5744B496-7368-425A-A3A1-B364F9E67382.jpeg

Reaction score
Here are a few from this weekend’s hunt...
First up is a mountain hemlock.
Second we have a lodgepole pine.
And then a subalpine fir.
I feel like I nailed this parenting thing watching the kids play in their back yard water park while I got some headway made on potting these up.
Not great pics of the trees but I will document them more thoroughly once I see some growth.
Really great finds. That's so awesome.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Root over rock willow

Honeysuckle ... I have 3 or 4 others to pot up still :)

Hawthorne- not sure what to do with it yet , but it's got a nice base.

Another willow with some cool dead wood.

Attachments

• 20180524_173310.jpg
    20180524_173310.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180524_173212.jpg
    20180524_173212.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180524_173201.jpg
    20180524_173201.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180524_173115.jpg
    20180524_173115.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 31

Dladzinski99

Seedling
Reaction score
A couple Ponderosas I collected last month. Easily the quickest and most complete root balls I've collected from the mountains thus far. They were both in an area that had been recently cut down for lumber and basically fell into my bags. Glamour shots in the future if they survive. Small one is pretty out of focus.

View attachment 193606View attachment 193605
I’ve seen full grown ponderosas in New Mexico and the bark smelled like butterscotch. Do yours happen to smell like that haha?

Top Bottom