The Yamadori Thread

Reaction score
The small ones with good trunk size and dead wood are not easy too find. You can find plenty of small California Junipers that are little bushes but not with deadwood like this one.
Gotcha.

Beautiful little guy. I rarely find small stuff in our area. Though I did find a new collecting area that shows promise. Lots of juniper with deadwood. If I can get them out. =p

Rule 35

Seed
Reaction score
Having followed this thread for some time I finally made the plunge; here are three yamadori from this past weekend. Each of these trees were collected in South-Central Utah at approximately 7,500 ft in elevation. Conditions were seemingly ideal given the recent storm of snow and rain.

From left to right:

1) Pinyon Pine collected on a windy mesa. Although rooted in heavy clay, there was a flat rock directly beneath the tree. Sometimes you get lucky I guess :)

2) Pinyon Pine collected on a small outcropping (see third photo). Somewhat nervous about the percentage of roots recovered as the sand fell away almost entirely, thereby taking the fine roots (with that said I got most of the feeder roots). Fingers crossed.

3) Ponderosa Pine collected in a shallow depression. The root mat was surprisingly thick and necessitated some trimming in order to plant.

Admittedly, I was somewhat uncertain how best to plant these in their respective grow boxes. Some threads recommend cleaning the roots a bit and introducing some bonsai soil in addition to the native soil; whereas others, solely recommend planting with the collected soil and repotting in subsequent years with bonsai soil––I opted for the latter method.

Any age estimates would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• u4wHBlyRRESxtllqDGEmzA.jpg
    u4wHBlyRRESxtllqDGEmzA.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 138
  • vcu7q0buRcu1x8702BHKJQ.jpg
    vcu7q0buRcu1x8702BHKJQ.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 120
  • XQRJuM2VRDKHLzBwZmy4oQ.jpg
    XQRJuM2VRDKHLzBwZmy4oQ.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 111

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Small Utah Juniper with nice root ball, should be a survivor, fingers crossed.
IMG_3395.JPG

Pinyon pine candles growing on this after 3 months collected, I don't know if this good or bad thing, hopefully good!
IMG_3394 (1).JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
We need you to finish your profile, we would kind of like to know where you live. This tree reminds me of the Lodge Poles we used to collect when I lived in California in the 60's. Make sure you give this tree at least two years to recover in partial shade before you work on it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
We need you to finish your profile, we would kind of like to know where you live. This tree reminds me of the Lodge Poles we used to collect when I lived in California in the 60's. Make sure you give this tree at least two years to recover in partial shade before you work on it.
Thanks I’ll have to do it later tonight. Thought my screen name would give a hint haha. I’m in Sacramento. Spend most of my weekends hiking in the Sierra so this hobby was a natural progression. I plan to give it at minimum 2 years, or how ever long it takes. I’m only 34, so I have time. I have a jbp I posted in another thread, along with a few other projects to keep me busy while these adapt. Here’s some bark pics.
3678B7B8-448A-4B82-ACB6-373D2AABF4F3.jpeg12C967A4-5BAD-4FA5-8E4E-EDD65AFA15EF.jpeg
Here’s a super ancient tree I saw the other weekend. I did not try to collect it as it was in a national park and not collectible even if it was on private land. Check out the bark on it though. B09B3991-2908-4C43-9132-A33AC58B22D9.jpegDE252D54-A1D6-4235-9D42-A6C08E6398B3.jpeg24D25E91-498F-4711-BEC1-AD98B3EC204D.jpegA5A01E0F-C2E8-408F-9860-D117FB5F4C43.jpeg
I’m going to start a thread with all the tree pics I have from my hikes. Some mind blowing junipers, lodge poles and white pines

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Actually I had the impression that you might live around Sacramento not from the screen name but the nature of the tree. It is very much like the Lodge Pole we used to collect North and East of Sacramento. When you feel you are ready to collect some extreme Yamadori I can tell you where you can find some that are about a foot and a half tall, trunks about as fat as your fore arm. They're growing in cracks in the granite but some times you can pull those puppies out of the pockets with little problem. Just let me know.

Reactions: n8
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Actually I had the impression that you might live around Sacramento not from the screen name but the nature of the tree. It is very much like the Lodge Pole we used to collect North and East of Sacramento. When you feel you are ready to collect some extreme Yamadori I can tell you where you can find some that are about a foot and a half tall, trunks about as fat as your fore arm. They're growing in cracks in the granite but some times you can pull those puppies out of the pockets with little problem. Just let me know.
Hey Vance thank you very much. I would love to know another location. I sent you a private message as you didn’t just come out and post it so I thought you might want to keep it private. Greatly appreciated

hemi71cuda

Sapling
Reaction score
Engelmann Spruce
Collected by Randy Knight around 2013 I think.
purchased from Natures Way Nursery.
-First pic shows the day I brought it home.
-2nd pic shows before and after styling with Todd Schlaffer
-3rd pic repotted into a Johnathon Cross container.
-4th pic is edited to show future direction. Long branches on left shortened or removed to push canopy direction to the right, opposite of the defining branch going left. DD861C4B-B61C-4675-980C-5317A05F9D98.jpeg00776686-1B6E-4A49-8544-7CC7B74EE881.jpegE82B4702-55FD-4ABA-84CA-CA8C0A1D9A7A.jpeg594E8DEC-71B0-4A77-9EE5-A121AAD43450.jpeg

Top Bottom