The Yamadori Thread

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
I have collected a tree that I'm not sure what it is. I think it is from the manzanita family or something like that. It grows in high altitude deserts with pinyons and junipers. Really picky with the roots. I have tried 5 times with only one success. I tried to find out what it was but I couldn't find any documentation.

20200203_102317.jpg20200203_102321.jpg20200203_102328.jpg20200203_102335.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have collected a tree that I'm not sure what it is. I think it is from the manzanita family or something like that. It grows in high altitude deserts with pinyons and junipers. Really picky with the roots. I have tried 5 times with only one success. I tried to find out what it was but I couldn't find any documentation.

View attachment 282261View attachment 282262View attachment 282263View attachment 282264
This looks like it

Attachments

• F86934F2-B211-4CEC-A5A0-47B9E6C8BED6.png
    F86934F2-B211-4CEC-A5A0-47B9E6C8BED6.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 94

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
I few gray oaks and one silver leaf oak

Silverleaf oak

They grow in high altitude but grow insanely strong in the TX weather. It is a evergreen oak but some leaves get really red during the fall season. These leaves fall off.

Gray Oaks

These are several from small to big. There is one oak that it is kind of literati, in the sense of skinny very old trunk. Really hard to find like that, 1 in a 1000.

Small old oak

This is big chunky base that pushed a lot of smaller branches and few old ones. I have seen that when the main trunk dies.

Medium size old oak

Not sure if the root coming out of the pot is alive. I was afraid of cutting out as I couldn't see if it had a lot of feeders.

Medium size oak

It has nice bark

Big oak

It is really nice old one. Great base and old branches

Medium size super old oak

This one is a weird one. Old branches and really nice deadwood in the center of the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I few gray oaks and one silver leaf oak

Silverleaf oak

They grow in high altitude but grow insanely strong in the TX weather. It is a evergreen oak but some leaves get really red during the fall season. These leaves fall off.

Gray Oaks

These are several from small to big. There is one oak that it is kind of literati, in the sense of skinny very old trunk. Really hard to find like that, 1 in a 1000.

Small old oak

This is big chunky base that pushed a lot of smaller branches and few old ones. I have seen that when the main trunk dies.

Medium size old oak

Not sure if the root coming out of the pot is alive. I was afraid of cutting out as I couldn't see if it had a lot of feeders.

Medium size oak

It has nice bark

Big oak

It is really nice old one. Great base and old branches

Medium size super old oak

This one is a weird one. Old branches and really nice deadwood in the center of the tree.

You have some really nice oaks.

Here's a manzanita I collected this summer near Mt. Jefferson, Oregon. I think it's a greenleaf manzanita (A. patula), but it could be Arctostaphylos nevadensis or even a hybrid with kinnikinnik or some other manzanita species. They hybridize readily.
It has some really nice movement. I kept as many roots as possible, but in a year or two I'll remove the long root to the left, it was connected to a tap root that went straight down that I had to cut. Right now there's just a few fine roots on it.

Attachments

• 20200716_133403.jpg
    20200716_133403.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200716_133411.jpg
    20200716_133411.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 59

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
I spent some time cleaning up some RMJ from my sales section. I felt people were not able to see the true potential:

1. This is a small RMJ with nice trunk and deadwood.

From my site (The tree before some of the deadwood and live vein cleaning)

2. RMJ

This one has several live veins and a lot of deadwood was hidden under old bark. You can see like each branch could have an independent live vein.

From my site (The tree before some of the deadwood and live vein cleaning)

3. RMJ - I haven't posted this one as it has juvenile foliage and just recently started to push mature foliage. This one has really cool live veins. There is a skinny live vein feeding a small branch.

This is the tree before cleaning

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
I cleaned up another little RMJ from my site. It is an old little one with really good deadwood but a long root. However, I discovered 50% of the root is deadwood so this could potentially be bend after removing the deadwood. It is already separating at the soil line. Normally you think about root grafting but I think you can get the root ball closer to the trunk by bending that root. Maybe a Spring project.

From my website
http://chobonsaiyamadori.com/viewer/-MON-7QXyh4eJGY6lmf5

The following link has pictures after cleaning and you can see what I'm saying about the root.

Thanks

Alvaro

Top Bottom