Theft works the same way in Japan

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That's really devastating but not surprising as there is crappy people all over the world who do really shitty things. Whats interesting is how the thief went after specific trees, so its even more heartbreaking to think that its most likely someone who has a good knowledge of bonsai who did that. I find that I rarely speak up about my collection to people who I don't know that well out of fear of theft. I hope that ass gets caught soon

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's really devastating but not surprising as there is crappy people all over the world who do really shitty things. Whats interesting is how the thief went after specific trees, so its even more heartbreaking to think that its most likely someone who has a good knowledge of bonsai who did that. I find that I rarely speak up about my collection to people who I don't know that well out of fear of theft. I hope that ass gets caught soon
It also looked to me like he was after specific trees, but he could also just be looking around for the easiest to steal...Gotta wonder about targeted theft in the mostly close Japanese bonsai industry...you probably know the thief or at least who might be buying that stolen tree.

Most bonsai theft in the U.S. is just opportunistic -- dimwit sees a tree, likes it (no matter what the quality), takes it-- That theft in Japan doesn't look like that to me.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
^^He did seem to go for that one tree in particular.

The answer is big vicious dogs, locked up during the day.
Fed only in the early evening.
Allowed to roam free at night only.
They will be gagging for someone to "play" with during the night.

D

Deleted member 21616

i hope this doesn't discourage Omiya from posting as much as they do on instagram and facebook. I look forward to their posts, and wish other nurseries were as good at sharing their work :(

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree...the thief seemed to target a specific tree in the two he took. His going down the wrong aisle and self correcting to get to the tree. Sounds as if he had specific trees in mind. This one, knew the nursery lay out to a degree. He seemed calculated in his selection of two trees. Especially that last one taken.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More on this theft. Apparently the tree taken was targeted. It was hundreds of years old and worth over $50,000. Apparently Chinese and Vietnamese buyers are paying top dollar for shimpaku junipers, more than Japanese buyers. I suspect the one stolen was an original collected tree, since the owner said it was over 400 years old. The article implies there may be a ring of thieves taking valuable shimpaku, mentioning a theft of eight trees at another nursery in the fall...

http://www.asahi.com/sp/ajw/article...1Gw_r9Ule1elEv_dPm8e5kP2VKzOHlQGQDiTAKZuPJeQ0

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very sad. I despise people with more money than they could handle especially Vietnamese and Chinese. They think too much of themselves. They'll pay for that one day.

D

Deleted member 21616

i think that what you said:

I despise people with more money than they could handle especially Vietnamese and Chinese

just seemed to go against the fact that all cultures and populations have both good and bad people, greedy and generous people, and everything in between.

But you are obviously aware of this -- It's just that the internet (and even just words on paper) can sometimes flatten ideas and invite excessively literal readings. We know you meant well.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@coh @parhamr
Must be an Asian thing since I am Vietnamese?? History, war, present political situation in Vietnam/China? Futher, I expect more of my people. Too much to say, and not going to derail thread. But my comment by itself is not racist so not why you're triggered.
Well, then...OK, I guess??

You realize I had no idea you were Vietnamese, so all we had to go on were the words you used. So yeah...comments like that just might "trigger" a response. Especially since those kinds of
people exist all over the world in all countries, all races, etc. Anyway...nothing more to say.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very sad. I despise people with more money than they could handle especially Vietnamese and Chinese. They think too much of themselves. They'll pay for that one day.
Jealous much? Why do you despise people with more money than they could handle? What do they do to you to deserve the hate? The extended hate to the Vietnamese and Chinese is puzzling to me as well. Do you have proof that they think too much of themselves as a group? "They'll pay for that one day." How? Is that a threat?

Last edited:
Top Bottom