Theoretically..,

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just reciently aquired a Parsons Juniper from a friend with a killer base and deadwood! The "native" foliage did not seem happy despite her care (e.g. there is still about 10% juvenile foliage, and the scale isn't reducing well). My plan was to take it from the smaller cascade pot (5.5 x 5.5 inch) it's been in for the past two years, and put it into a 5 inch x 10 inch Anderson Flat to build up vigor and top root strength. Additionally, I want to start grafting some finer foliage in the spring (either Itowigawa, or Kishu).

I know you can slip pot any time of the year, but since the roots are going to have to be flattened and and loosened a bit to fit the slightly shorter height (.5 inch) can this be done now or wait until spring? If this is done in the spring, can it still be grafted around the same time, or will this be more stress?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
PS this is the weeks forecast, it's still pretty warm and stress free for the rest of the week!
IMG_1793.PNG

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thx, and I will still be able to graft the same season?

I would think think so, but didn’t answer because I’m not much of a grafter. Hopefully one of the most experienced folks will chime in.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple of these.
I try to keep them in juvenile foliage through cutting them back then pinching throughout the year. The scale foliage is long and ropey. Very hard to control and not look like spaghetti on a stick.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a couple of these.
I try to keep them in juvenile foliage through cutting them back then pinching throughout the year. The scale foliage is long and ropey. Very hard to control and not look like spaghetti on a stick.

That's an interesting idea, the juvenile is a great deal smaller than the scale. It will give it a needle Juniper kind of look...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's an interesting idea, the juvenile is a great deal smaller than the scale. It will give it a needle Juniper kind of look...
Mine turn blue throughout the summer also. They're pretty trees.
The juvenile foliage reminds me of San Jose junipers.
A little coarser than procumbens but still workable.
And like those 2 when you cut something off they revert to juvenile foliage fast.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Smaller with more surface area, more vigorous!

Spruce.

Are you Brewing Beer....or Sake?
;)

Tosho? Fosho!

Sorce

Top Bottom