They're coming! Are you ready?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The 17 year brood X is coming soon, at least in my area. I am going to do a insect mesh net wrap around and over the top of my windhouse structure. I don't want to take any chances with my trees.... Even though there are plenty of trees here in the landscape for them to lay their eggs in, I would hate it if I didn't take precautions and it ruined something I've spent so much time on.
What is everyone else planning on doing to protect their trees?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
T
The 17 year brood X is coming soon, at least in my area. I am going to do a insect mesh net wrap around and over the top of my windhouse structure. I don't want to take any chances with my trees.... Even though there are plenty of trees here in the landscape for them to lay their eggs in, I would hate it if I didn't take precautions and it ruined something I've spent so much time on.
The what!?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If they are in your area, they will be hatching soon. I’d guess next week or shortly after where I live. There are some places selling out quickly of insect screening...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We get Cicadids here every year and it varies from year to year how plentiful they are. I have never had a problem with them on my bonsai *knocks wood*

From the Wikipedia article:
The population of Brood X on New York's Long Island disappeared before the 2004 emergence. An entomologist with Cornell University’s integrated pest management program has suggested that widespread tree removal during development and pesticide use on the island caused the brood's extinction there.[6]

Guess I dont have to worry about this brood:cool:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
We have plenty of cicada species down here and sometimes in summer the noise is almost deafening but maybe we don't have mass hatching like this.

I did note this observation in one of the articles I read after seeing this post -
During dense emergences, females can lay enough eggs in branches to damage young trees, but the abundant egg-laying also naturally prunes trees, resulting in more flowers and fruit in the years that follow.
Maybe letting these cicadas help you with the bonsai could be beneficial - naturally pruned? More flowers and fruit? (though possible results may be just a bit too random for most of us)?????

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow this is fascinating. I don't think I have to worry here in MA from what I'm reading.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm spraying Sevin when they appear. I think if it is freshly spayed it will help keeping their little ovipositors out of my bonsai since I am surrounded by a forest they could use for their brood.
I do have some frost covers that could come to play if plan one is ineffective.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yikes. This map includes Michigan... thread has me nervous! Great topic. I have limited defenses...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We get Cicadids here every year and it varies from year to year how plentiful they are. I have never had a problem with them on my bonsai *knocks wood*

From the Wikipedia article:

Guess I dont have to worry about this brood:cool:
These are different than the yearly cycle of cicadas that we get in late summer every year. I am glad to see that you are out of the area for this mass event, although the reason for that is rather sad.
I'm spraying Sevin when they appear. I think if it is freshly spayed it will help keeping their little ovipositors out of my bonsai since I am surrounded by a forest they could use for their brood.
I do have some frost covers that could come to play if plan one is ineffective.
Interesting. Doesn't the Seven have to contact the bug to deflect them? It's such a long event, over several weeks. I'm not taking chances!
We have plenty of cicada species down here and sometimes in summer the noise is almost deafening but maybe we don't have mass hatching like this.

I did note this observation in one of the articles I read after seeing this post -

Maybe letting these cicadas help you with the bonsai could be beneficial - naturally pruned? More flowers and fruit? (though possible results may be just a bit too random for most of us)?????
Sorry but that's not how I want to "prune" my trees, they can grossly misshape trunks and whole years lost in the tree development. I mean I could let my dog use it for fetch if I'm interested in random destruction.... I think @Underdog had some major damage last time to some of his trees.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Doesn't the Seven have to contact the bug to deflect them? It's such a long event, over several weeks. I'm not taking chances!
Contact does kill but main method of action in ingestion. I have been using it lately because many of the plants I have have sensitivities to stronger insecticides It is old school but I just it a few weeks ago on various things infected a few JMs, including an odd scale, and everything is clean of pests now. I think if I spray when I first see the little sh....ts, I will get some control. Sevin is nice because you can spray it week or strong and you can reapply fairly often. Guess we will see but when I brought this cicada thing up a month or so back, I didn't see a lot of ideas bantered about.
Of course a lot of people aren't going to tolerate white stuff on their leaves. I don't like it, but hopefully the cicada won't either.
Best of luck to all in these cicada days.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Where did you get your netting, Judy?

Top Bottom