Thicken Trunk With Wire?

Bob Hunter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
JWP with wire on the trunk. Didn't like the wire but has a nice graft couple more years and you will not see the scares.

IMG_8856.jpg

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Funny the thing about wrapping wire. I have a crepe myrtle sapling that has been developing a great nebari, like I'm sitting there wondering how it is naturally growing so radially. I had to repot this weekend because it kept falling over, and discovered where I had put a root tourniquet on when I planted 😂😂 .

So yes to wrapping wire to encourage a new root system, but I wouldn't do it on the trunk.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I know your thread is about a seiju elm, but some pine examples have popped up as well. Look at my JBP as an example, here it is in spring of 2022. I have owned this tree for 15 years now, and it didn’t really show wire scars when I bought it in 2007, but obviously the trunk had been wired for shape at some point, probably sometime around 2000 +/-. The scars aren’t obvious now, before scrolling on…can you see them?
1009D1EE-70D8-48D5-947D-4E5E9BC1F0DE.jpeg
Look again, they’re traced in red below:
D9E137C3-5F7E-4C49-93E7-EA187EF53DF5.jpeg
The front is ok, and likely the scars are not noticeable.

Here’s where the trouble starts. A few years ago I noticed a small Shari open up on the back of the trunk at the first bend. Over time, the dieback continued…right along the wire scar. Yes, it adds character, and I’m fortunate its on the back…but if it continues to open up, it may end up killing the tree entirely.
29E77299-18C3-4648-9CB6-70CA0E466D7B.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's amazing from wire scaring that old..

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I know your thread is about a seiju elm, but some pine examples have popped up as well. Look at my JBP as an example, here it is in spring of 2022. I have owned this tree for 15 years now, and it didn’t really show wire scars when I bought it in 2007, but obviously the trunk had been wired for shape at some point, probably sometime around 2000 +/-. The scars aren’t obvious now, before scrolling on…can you see them?
View attachment 457904
Look again, they’re traced in red below:
View attachment 457907
The front is ok, and likely the scars are not noticeable.

Here’s where the trouble starts. A few years ago I noticed a small Shari open up on the back of the trunk at the first bend. Over time, the dieback continued…right along the wire scar. Yes, it adds character, and I’m fortunate its on the back…but if it continues to open up, it may end up killing the tree entirely.
View attachment 457906
As I understand your post, this was wired for shape but not wired for thickness.
The former seems like the cost of doing business if you want movement in your tree. But if done for the latter, it seems even more risk is being put onto the tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As I understand your post, this was wired for shape but not wired for thickness.
The former seems like the cost of doing business if you want movement in your tree. But if done for the latter, it seems even more risk is being put onto the tree.
Correct. The best way to add movement to a trunk is through pruning. If wire is used, it should be removed before scarring sets in…as in well before the trunk swells around it, then allow the trunk to thicken with movement, but without wire. So, wire used to thicken a trunk is risky.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Its one of those things that if done correctly and with the right amount of time can give a nice look to the trunk like the Brian tree, I think its pretty common in exported Japanese pines; done to thick up faster the trunks (I dont know how its viewed among the japaneses bonsai growers, if its something they only do in exported cheaper material or also in their trees to sell in Japan) also could be a interesting thing to do in junipers to get crazy live veins

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wire can be wrapped around the base of a maple or elm to not only thicken the trunk, but to create new lateral roots. No personal experience, but a local artist did this with his maple. Takes a while, but his results were great.

There is a Drake elm on my bench that needs this done. Maybe I'll anneal some thick copper and get that project started.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Wire can be wrapped around the base of a maple or elm to not only thicken the trunk, but to create new lateral roots.
Well yes thats basically an airlayer by strangulation a lot of people do it with steel washers or tiles with holes

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maybe you can cut the branch off before the bulge and grow a new one
Nah. The bulge is hidden under the canopy and not worth losing that branch. And it looks like a mini bee hive, so I like it.
Correct. The best way to add movement to a trunk is through pruning. If wire is used, it should be removed before scarring sets in…as in well before the trunk swells around it, then allow the trunk to thicken with movement, but without wire. So, wire used to thicken a trunk is risky.
Always great when there are clear definitive statements in bonsai. Thanks.

Top Bottom