Thickening azaleas

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was wondering in how to thicken azaleas to the point of having one thick trunk?

I have a small azalea at home but it has so many branches that none seem to thicken... should I chop all smaller branches and leave only oner or two?

What do you guys do?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I grow azaleas for their flowers and am not focussed on trying to make trunks with them. I find them to be slow to thicken even though the principle is the same as with any (temperate) tree: lots of foliage on a stick is the way you make it thick.

So, if you want to have a trunk, prune off the branches from the base, leaving only the one stick you want to become a trunk. Then you want to encourage all the foliage growth on that stick that you can get. Most azaleas readily back bud, some are so much so that all you need to do is expose the bare stem(s) to sunlight.

I shear and deadhead my azaleas after they have bloomed (they begin growing vigorously at the time they bloom) and again about August (February for you, I believe) which does stimulate backbudding. You may want to remove the flower buds as soon as they are set so that all the plant's energy goes into vegetative growth. Some evergreen azaleas set flower buds in the fall, others in the spring, but regardless, they are always at the tip of a twig, so this can usualy be done by trimming/shearing at the right time instead of tediously picking each bud one at a time.

In other words, if you are after just making a trunk, shear it in the spring, put it in the sun, fertilize, water, and let it grow.

Again, I grow azaleas for their flowers. I shear them at least twice a year. My focus, though, is on sculpting the canopy where the flowers will appear. For me the skeleton is secondary. Over time, I clean up the stems and even remove some to make an attractive skeleton.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am also curious about growing out azaleas. I bought a one gallon azalea "pink gumpo" this spring. It has two less than pencil thick trunks. I cut some flower buds off the top think that would help vegetative growth on the top and left a couple flower buds down low just so I could see a couple at least. Then I up-potted it into a three gallon nursery pot. I wonder if it's better for creating a trunk to keep cutting away low growth and letting the top extend or just letting it go wild all over because they aren't apically dominant. I should have bought two so I could do a test between the two methods.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I hate to state the obvious, but "pencil thick trunks" are the problem. (They're probably as straight as a pencil, also. You need to spend a bit more money for better material. You will NOT find a suitable azalea at a Big Box store. All they have is 1, 3 and (maybe) 5 gallon clumps.

Buy a bigger plant from a REAL nursery, prune it down to a single trunk or two. Treat all of the larger branches you pruned as cuttings (sometimes several cuttings) and you quickly (relatively speaking) will have several potentially nice single-trunk bonsai.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I cannot find the reference but I remember someone mentioning to me when I asked about trunk fusions that someone did this with a satsuki. The idea is that they took many twiggy cuttings, rooted them and then combined them in to one trunk (over a mold of wood). I don't know if they ever got the trunks to fuse or not-- nor did I see photo evidence. Anyone else know of trunk fusions to beef up an azalea trunk?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hate to state the obvious, but "pencil thick trunks" are the problem. (They're probably as straight as a pencil, also. You need to spend a bit more money for better material. You will NOT find a suitable azalea at a Big Box store. All they have is 1, 3 and (maybe) 5 gallon clumps.

Buy a bigger plant from a REAL nursery, prune it down to a single trunk or two. Treat all of the larger branches you pruned as cuttings (sometimes several cuttings) and you quickly (relatively speaking) will have several potentially nice single-trunk bonsai.

I'm aware. There are literally no azaleas in surrounding nurseries in pots bigger than a gallon. I've looked. I have seen rhododendrons in bigger pots, but not azaleas. I bought mine just to sit back and watch. Maybe it'll take ten years to thicken up if ever. I'm in no hurry. I have more than enough projects going on to mess with in the meantime.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a satsuki with a 4 inch trunk. I could not imagine how long it took to get that big. Japanese import so I don't know the history of it. That's why azalea stock is so damn expensive. We don't have nursery azaleas in bigger than a two gallon pot here. I would imagine a one gallon pink gumbo would take longer than I have left to grow big enough for me and I'm only 36. Praying one day to get the call. " hey Jeremy I have this 50 year old azalea in my yard with very small leaves. Do you want to dig it up?":rolleyes: so to thicken anything it has to grow longer. Simple as that. That may take forever depending on how slow it grows.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Culitvar matters

They do not always trunk up at the same pace...for example Gumpo is known to be one that doesn't trunk up well...sorry Kennedy...I have some from an old nursery...1 gallons..20+ years in a container...1-1.5 inch trunks....but very nice. I also just recently purchased some large gumpos for my landscape...3 gal cont, 2' tall and nearly 4' wide domes...no trunks much larger than a pencil in a group of 10. Where as, Chinzan are much more inclined to trunk up.... 3 gallon container, 10-12 years old 2+" trunks...when you can find single trunked ones...that is always the big challenge.

Jeremy...if the azalea you are referring to is your Kakuo? I suspect it came from a group imported by Bill V about 5 or so years ago. I remember that he reported they were grown in the ground for 24 years..might have been 25...there was an informational flyer with a picture of a long row of them in the ground...potentially your tree is 30 years old....of course, you probably know all this:)

john

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last month I had a local azalea "magician" to our club, and his repetitive comment on every azalea that was brought before him was " add some chopped sphagnum to the top of the soil and it will help the tree add surface roots. Over time those surface roots with fuse adding girth to the the base." This individual has been at it for probably 4 decades and has many awards for his nice trees. Take it for what it's worth.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do not always trunk up at the same pace...for example Gumpo is known to be one that doesn't trunk up well...sorry Kennedy...I have some from an old nursery...1 gallons..20+ years in a container...1-1.5 inch trunks....but very nice. I also just recently purchased some large gumpos for my landscape...3 gal cont, 2' tall and nearly 4' wide domes...no trunks much larger than a pencil in a group of 10. Where as, Chinzan are much more inclined to trunk up.... 3 gallon container, 10-12 years old 2+" trunks...when you can find single trunked ones...that is always the big challenge.

Jeremy...if the azalea you are referring to is your Kakuo? I suspect it came from a group imported by Bill V about 5 or so years ago. I remember that he reported they were grown in the ground for 24 years..might have been 25...there was an informational flyer with a picture of a long row of them in the ground...potentially your tree is 30 years old....of course, you probably know all this:)

john

John
Very interesting. It is my kakuo. I bought this tree from Ben vinocour as he was leaving the country for an extended period. Just took this pic 5 minutes ago with its summer buz cut. Thanks for the info. It's hard to imagine they could grow so thick is just 30 years. I appreciate your info and expert advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 424

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
John
Very interesting. It is my kakuo. I bought this tree from Ben vinocour as he was leaving the country for an extended period. Just took this pic 5 minutes ago with its summer buz cut. Thanks for the info. It's hard to imagine they could grow so thick is just 30 years. I appreciate your info and expert advice.

Ack! It's hideous!!! You should send it to me immediately so as to unburden yourself! ;)

johng

Omono
Reaction score
John

glad to help...yours looks very much like mine:)

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

john

Thanks for the info, John. The whole reason I was looking for an azalea was because of your YouTube video showing the chopped azaleas you had been working on. I wish I could have found something bigger. Funny though, I had to pick between gumpo and chinzan. Maybe I will pick up a chinzan afterall and stick it in the ground.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Waka ebisu azalea from a cutting-- today and 3 years ago:

Attachments

• 6-14 mini waka ebisu 2.jpg
    6-14 mini waka ebisu 2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 385
  • JAY_MINI.JPG
    JAY_MINI.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 364

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was wondering in how to thicken azaleas to the point of having one thick trunk?

I have a small azalea at home but it has so many branches that none seem to thicken... should I chop all smaller branches and leave only oner or two?

What do you guys do?
To thicken, I would leave only one TRUNK but also leave as many low BRANCHES on that trunk. They will help thicken the trunk IMHO.

Johng is right on that it highly depend on the variety (that is true for most tree/plant by the way). Some would thicken slowly NO MATTER what you do.

Here is one I collected that thicken fast (separated to 3). I plan on grafting smaller leaf variety on these. Hope it goes as planned. :D
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?13989-When-to-repot-Azalea-(George-L-Tabor-NOT-satsuki)
attachment.php

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
please keep us updated. I have one just like yours, same flower etc. actually I found it on the curb on my way to work in 2012.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Last month I had a local azalea "magician" to our club, and his repetitive comment on every azalea that was brought before him was " add some chopped sphagnum to the top of the soil and it will help the tree add surface roots. Over time those surface roots with fuse adding girth to the the base." This individual has been at it for probably 4 decades and has many awards for his nice trees. Take it for what it's worth.

I have seen that written in several articles and will start doing so this weekend. Thanks for the reminder :cool:

Grimmy

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the spagnum moss tip, I never heard that before.
Joedes

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an idea

This something I've been considering for quite awhile and I'd like to run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes, or shoots it down.

I have some wild azaleas (about five acres) and I'm going to be collecting some eventually. Some of these guys are pretty trunky! What if, I get a nice big trunk and graft on cuttings of cultivars? Much like grafting shimps onto RMJ to improve foliage ect.

You should try standing downwind when they're all in bloom. It hits you like a wave and carries you away!

I'm in the dark here, are azaleas cutivars grafted to stronger stock or do they do well on their on. I'm just getting onto my longtime mountain friend and really don't know that much about their cultivation. I do know if you are lost in the woods and you find azalea, you found water! There's a clue, aye. Anywho, what do you all think of my idea? Am I Jonny come late to an ongoing circus, I know there's nothing new under the sun and if you thought of it a hundred thought of it before, but I'm out of the azalea loop. Thanks, Rick

Top Bottom