thickening the trunk once its in the bonsai pot

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
hi all, i just started my first bonsia. i picket up some small Feroniella lucida (wood apple i think its called, in the RUTACEAE family)

the trees i'm guessing are about 1 year old, about 1cm wide trunk and wired into a nice shapes already. i got 3 trees for about $10, they were in normal, deep pots.

so i immediately took them out of the pots, trimmed the roots and put in a bonsai pot.

they look great already but then i read that trees rarely grow thicker trucks once they have be 'bonsaid'. is that true? what should i do, put them back in big pots?

thx steve

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A big pot is a start but to get a real trunk put it in the ground or a large prepared bed. Anderson flats are great as well but nothing will give you trunk girth like sticking something in the ground.

Ben

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
A big pot is a start but to get a real trunk put it in the ground or a large prepared bed. Anderson flats are great as well but nothing will give you trunk girth like sticking something in the ground.

Ben

thanks, so i assume then that there would be no root trimming going on while its in the ground? what about pruning and shaping the branches? i assume i continue to do that just like a normal bonsai? or do i just let it grow wild?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks, so i assume then that there would be no root trimming going on while its in the ground? what about pruning and shaping the branches? i assume i continue to do that just like a normal bonsai? or do i just let it grow wild?

Letting it grow wild and fertilizing the heck out of it would be the fastest route to a thick trunk. You still have quite a few years wait though, I would say at least 2+ years to get a 5-6 centimeters trunk.

ed

Top Bottom